Defining cremini mushrooms

TheChefGoingHomeToday

Local time
11:30 PM
[Mod.Edit: this post and a number of the following posts have been moved to a new thread. Please note that some posts have been removed from this discussion due to their provocative nature (see Terms and rules reg.2 (MG)]

Cottage pie using from the freezer leftover beef roast and marinade/cooking liquid from when I used the sous vide. Carrots, criminis, onions, and garlic were the veges, with a mashed potato topping. No pics, I was starved.
Criminis..? 🤔

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh... just Googled them. They are what over we know as Portobello mushrooms. Thanks.

Well, not exactly. The Cremini mushroom is a younger version of a Portabello. The Cremini is smaller. They look different, but taste is similar. They are both more mature versions of the white button mushroom (I didn't know that until I searched for a picture to post). The Cremini and Portabello are sold as separate things in the US. Here are the three side by side.

Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 3.39.32 AM.png

CD

Last edited:
Thank you. Criminis were on my 'to research' list from a grocery post here not long ago, had not found the time to google them out.👍 I love the amazing learning curve through the forum.
The difference is age apparently... Portobello mushrooms are more mature criminis. which are themselves a more mature white mushroom (or button mushroom).

The difference is age apparently... Portobello mushrooms are more mature criminis. which are themselves a more mature white mushroom (or button mushroom).

I usually see creminis sold as "baby bella" (baby portabella) mushrooms:

shopping

Yes, I have too, but not usually. I don't know the history behind that. Marketing? Regional thing?

CD

Maybe a bit of both? Years ago, I might not have given it a second glance if I saw a sign that said "criminins". But, baby bellas? Bella = beautiful (and even if you didn't know that, it sounds prettier than "cremini"). Who wouldn't want to see beautiful babies? It sounds adorable.

So we have baby Porto

shopping
So we have baby Portobello mushrooms here... we eat them regularly. I just haven't seen them called creminis. Actually before today I didn't know about age being the only difference between button mushrooms and any type of Portobello mushroom.

266711011_0_1280x1280.jpg

I'm pretty sure the white versus brown mushrooms is NOT an age thing. They are simply differnt strains of the same mushroom. Think about it. You've seen HUGE white mushrooms that are used for stuffing (they sell these in separate packaging in our area groceries) and you've seen tiny brown mushrooms (criminis or baby bellas). If it's an age thing, how would you explain the size range?

I'm pretty sure the white versus brown mushrooms is NOT an age thing. They are simply differnt strains of the same mushroom. Think about it. You've seen HUGE white mushrooms that are used for stuffing (they sell these in separate packaging in our area groceries) and you've seen tiny brown mushrooms (criminis or baby bellas). If it's an age thing, how would you explain the size range?
Just one of the articles I've seen today...

Screenshot 2021-03-26 18.32.49.png

Complete Guide To Cremini Mushrooms - GroCycle

And I found these

Varieties & Taste - Mushrooms Canada

What's the Difference Between White, Baby Bella, and Portabella Mushrooms?

(PDF) Challenging the difference between white and brown Agaricus bisporus mushrooms: Science behind consumers choice

Guide to mushrooms - Healthy Food Guide

Types of Mushroom

It's not logical to assume that it's an age difference since you get very tiny to very large mushrooms of both colors. If white was the immature form, you would ONLY have tiny to small white mushrooms, and would ONLY find medium to large browns, and you don't. There are tiny to very large forms of both colors. Yes, I'll agree that the small browns that are called crimini or baby bellas are the immature form of a portabello, but the whites are just a different color and not an immature form.

And I see a new thread coming up courtesy of Morning Glory .

And I found these

Varieties & Taste - Mushrooms Canada

What's the Difference Between White, Baby Bella, and Portabella Mushrooms?

(PDF) Challenging the difference between white and brown Agaricus bisporus mushrooms: Science behind consumers choice

Guide to mushrooms - Healthy Food Guide

Types of Mushroom

It's not logical to assume that it's an age difference since you get very tiny to very large mushrooms of both colors. If white was the immature form, you would ONLY have tiny to small white mushrooms, and would ONLY find medium to large browns, and you don't. There are tiny to very large forms of both colors. Yes, I'll agree that the small browns that are called crimini or baby bellas are the immature form of a portabello, but the whites are just a different color and not an immature form.

And I see a new thread coming up courtesy of Morning Glory .
Nothing I'm assuming... Facts from various sources.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom