Delicacies unique to your country?

Sandman

Veteran
Local time
11:50 PM
Here in South-Africa we have something called 'Biltong' It's basically dried and cured meat which comes in various flavour with a wide variety of seasoning and different cuts of meat which is done this way, Almost everyone in our country loves the stuff and a must have for any party or gathering to watch sports or have some beers or whatever. As a result of this, it has become very expensive, It's really delish, I love it.
What delicacies do you guys have that's unique to your country/region/family etc.?

We have loads...

I grew up with tatty scone, square sausage and dumpling (so potato cakes, flat square sausage meat without a skin, and a fried fruity suet mix) - that was Glasgow, Scotland
I also grew up with chip butties (chips (UK) in a bread roll with loads of butter dripping out of it as the chips melted it) - generally a northern England thing
Regionally we have Staffordshire oatcakes which are similar to pancakes, only savoury, made with oatmeal and yeast and recooked and usually filled with melted cheese, bacon, fried onion etc.

there are plenty of others as well... come weird and wonderful and thankfully long forgotten, others we keep eating (like oatcakes and chip butties.

Here in South-Eastern Europe, we have something called Borsch. It is made of yeast and is very sour. We usually use it to prepare traditional "Ciorba" soups, which are basically standard vegetable or beef soups, but with a nice sour taste. People here prefer to use Borsch, instead of Vinegar, because it is smoother and not as intense. I personally love it and use it most of the time, when I make a soup like that.

Black Pudding anyone? beautiful stuff, cooked scabs.
What is exactly is 'Black Pudding'? Cooked scabs? In South-Africa 'scabs' are a form of biltong. it's basically really thin sliced dried meat, it's really nice to eat though, anything alike?

What is exactly is 'Black Pudding'? Cooked scabs? In South-Africa 'scabs' are a form of biltong. it's basically really thin sliced dried meat, it's really nice to eat though, anything alike?
Black pudding is
a blend of onions, pork fat, oatmeal, flavourings - and blood (usually from a pig).

black_pudding_16x9.jpg

There is also a white pudding as well, which is pretty much the same but without the animal blood (savoury oatmeal sausage containing oatmeal, bread, suet (raw beef or mutton fat) and sometimes shredded pork.)

And finally there is a regional version (east coast of Scotland) that is called red pudding... (ingredients consist of bacon, beef, pork, pork rind, suet, rusks, wheat flour, spices, salt, beef fat and colouring)

sorry, UK colloquialism, scabs are the term for the blood crust that forms over a cut as it heals.

Black Pudding is blood sausage, Blood (in the UK usually pork, but other animal blood can be used) boiled and congealed, usually with a filler ingredient, often oatmeal, it can either be served boiled as a full sausage in a quite firm skin as the meat part of a main meal or on its own as an appetiser / starter course. Alternately a fatter sausage, often incorporating bacon or other hard fat filler pieces, sliced into discs & grilled or fried as part of a traditional full English breakfast. (edit - this is the type shown in SSSO's post above) the fat is more plentiful & apparent (also akin to German Blutwürst) than the main meal type *end edit*)

The notion of eating blood can put people off but the taste and texture is more Haggis or lightly spiced almost crumb texture meat & does not really inspire vampiric feelings.

In Brazil we have a very unique dish called "Feijoada", which contains pork parts and black beans cooked together. It's delicious. I find this dish very interesting, because it was created by black slaves way back on slavery times. The way this was created is that the slaves would take all parts of the pork that would not be used by their sirs and would put them all together into one dish. As they were not parts people usually eat, like the feet meat, pig skin and ribs, these would otherwise be thrown away. It's not a pretty dish by no means, it doesn't look good, and people's first reaction when they see it is turn their noses. However I love it and it's a very famous and common dish in Brazil that our people embraced from the slaves and love!

Back
Top Bottom