Diabetes and diets

Cinisajoy

Veteran
Local time
12:25 AM
Mod. Edit: posts moved to create a new thread

That's tough for you. I'm lucky not to have that. My carb need isn't a sweet craving at all. I crave potatoes, bread, rice. I don't know how those things fit into a diabetic diet...
Carbs are heck on either the diabetic or the hypoglycemic. I have to make sure I have plenty of protein before doing carbs. The other way does not work. I am hypoglycemic. Though it has gotten better, the closer I got to a good weight for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Carbs are heck on either the diabetic or the hypoglycemic. I have to make sure I have plenty of protein before doing carbs. The other way does not work. I am hypoglycemic. Though it has gotten better, the closer I got to a good weight for me.

Sorry to hear that you are hypoglycemic. Do you have to have yearly blood work done to keep an eye on your A1c and fasting levels? My sister and daughter are hypo and they have the bloodwork done yearly. Something I didn't know until my last appointment - people who are hypo have a 50% greater chance of developing Type 2 than someone who isn't because of their pancreas working overtime.

Sorry to hear that you are hypoglycemic. Do you have to have yearly blood work done to keep an eye on your A1c and fasting levels? My sister and daughter are hypo and they have the bloodwork done yearly. Something I didn't know until my last appointment - people who are hypo have a 50% greater chance of developing Type 2 than someone who isn't because of their pancreas working overtime.
No, I don't. I just attempt to watch my diet. Long story short, 26 years ago I was severely underweight. 20 years ago, I was just underweight, 10 years ago, I quit smoking and finally got up to a normal weight.
It was an uphill battle. I dated a guy for a bit that had insulin dependent diabetes. I was skinny thin but not to the point of unhealthy. We had many arguments over food. His mother would always solve the argument in the same way. She would sit us both down at a table and say eat. (He was at least 35 and I was 20). Many years later, I found out we lost him to the disease. He never ate right (least not when I knew him and he drank too much).

No, I don't. I just attempt to watch my diet. Long story short, 26 years ago I was severely underweight. 20 years ago, I was just underweight, 10 years ago, I quit smoking and finally got up to a normal weight.
It was an uphill battle. I dated a guy for a bit that had insulin dependent diabetes. I was skinny thin but not to the point of unhealthy. We had many arguments over food. His mother would always solve the argument in the same way. She would sit us both down at a table and say eat. (He was at least 35 and I was 20). Many years later, I found out we lost him to the disease. He never ate right (least not when I knew him and he drank too much).

So sorry to ear that. I had a cousin who was a T1 insulin-dependent diabetic. We lost him a little over 3 years ago due to complications o the disease. It's hard to deal with sometimes.

I was just diagnosed with Type 2-B. In addition to the diet and exercise recommendations (which I'm becoming obsessive about following), I'm on a medication to help lower/control the sugar level and get my A1C down (7.0). I actually don't mind the diet and exercise because it's healthy/beneficial if you have diabetes or not. My frustration is the medication which has severely limited my alcohol enjoyment (2-3 drinks a week). I'm not a heavy drinker by any means but will miss a beer on bowling night....enjoying a wine tasting.. a couple of beers at a new micro- brewery. Have to plan my weekly "social calendar" accordingly.

Don't know if you enjoy cooking (I do a lot). If you do, use your situation to have fun cooking....looking for interesting new recipes that fit the diet restrictions. I'm on the Internet almost daily looking for some variation of "what's good for us".

My advise is to stay positive...do the right things and good things will happen !

I was just diagnosed with Type 2-B. In addition to the diet and exercise recommendations (which I'm becoming obsessive about following), I'm on a medication to help lower/control the sugar level and get my A1C down (7.0). I actually don't mind the diet and exercise because it's healthy/beneficial if you have diabetes or not. My frustration is the medication which has severely limited my alcohol enjoyment (2-3 drinks a week). I'm not a heavy drinker by any means but will miss a beer on bowling night....enjoying a wine tasting.. a couple of beers at a new micro- brewery. Have to plan my weekly "social calendar" accordingly.

Don't know if you enjoy cooking (I do a lot). If you do, use your situation to have fun cooking....looking for interesting new recipes that fit the diet restrictions. I'm on the Internet almost daily looking for some variation of "what's good for us".

My advise is to stay positive...do the right things and good things will happen !
I am not going to lie to you and say giving up alcohol is easy because it is hard.
Yes, you will have to change your calendar a bit.
I don't have a work around for your beer. If you did mixed drinks, it would be easier. Then at parties, you could just put whatever you are drinking in a red cup and no one would know the difference.
I guess I should say the good thing is you don't drink to excess every day so you won't get the withdrawal symptoms.
Anyway, just know there is a former drinker in here if you ever want to talk.
26.5 years now.

I am not going to lie to you and say giving up alcohol is easy because it is hard.
Yes, you will have to change your calendar a bit.
I don't have a work around for your beer. If you did mixed drinks, it would be easier. Then at parties, you could just put whatever you are drinking in a red cup and no one would know the difference.
I guess I should say the good thing is you don't drink to excess every day so you won't get the withdrawal symptoms.
Anyway, just know there is a former drinker in here if you ever want to talk.
26.5 years now.
Your reply is thoughful....keep up the good work and be well !

What is Type 2-B? I've heard of T2 but not T2-B. What medication(s) are you on? I'm on Janumet 2x daily and Novolog 70/30 mix 80 units AM, 70 units PM. I'm also on some diabetes and low carb forums. I don't go ultra low because I am on the insulin, but it's a lot lower than the SAD.

Back
Top Bottom