Diatomaceous Earth

lili

Veteran
Local time
2:06 AM
I've read a lot about using diatomaceous earth in pet treats to help handle parasites.

For those of you who aren't familiar with it, diatomaceous earth is, "dirt" made up of one-celled organisms called, "diatoms". There are two types of DE (diatomaceous earth). One is for swimming pools and the other is food grade. The kind for pools is poisonous if ingested, so you have to be sure to get the right kind. Anyway, the diatoms have sharp edges. They're too small to harm us or our pets, but they can cut through the exoskeleton of insects, which causes them to die. It's supposed to be a great natural method to treat parasites.

I've heard conflicting information about whether or not this actually works, and I was just wondering if any of you have ever tried making pet treats with diatomaceous earth.

Never heard of this before! I do worm my dog regularly but have never worried about other internal parasites. Do you have a dog with a particular problem...?

Last edited:
It is a very fine clay like substance and is used for both ducks and chickens much like worming powder is. It is very fine. It is put Into their food. It doesn't harm them in any way. we used it tl treat our ducks and put it Into the chickens food. Its cheap to buy as well.

It is a very fine clay like substance and is used for both ducks and chickens much like worming powder is. It is very fine. It is put Into their food. It doesn't harm them in any way. we used it tl treat our ducks and put it Into the chickens food. Its cheap to buy as well.
Ok! Sounds like a useful thing.

"If breathed in, diatomaceous earth can irritate the nose and nasal passages. If an extremely large amount is inhaled, people may cough and have shortness of breath. On skin, it can cause irritation and dryness. Diatomaceous earth may also irritate the eyes, due to its abrasive nature. Any dust, including silica, can be irritating to the eyes."

http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/degen.html

Back
Top Bottom