Recipe Diet Cheat: Cream of Tomato Soup

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
9:21 PM
As I'm pretty well permanently on a diet, I'm always looking for low cal substitutes. This isn't supposed to be a gourmet recipe, but a low cal substitute for a comforting bowl of Heinz Tomato Soup. I'm sure it wouldn't fool a Heinz connoisseur, but needs must! My version has 42kcal. Heinz's has 118kcal for same portion. The recipe is for one portion.

Ingredients:

100g Passata (not widely available in US. Substitute pureed tinned tomatoes if you can't find it).
100ml Almond milk (use the unsweetened kind, 27kcal per 200ml)
Seasoning of your choice.

Method:

Mix it all together in a soup bowl or mug and microwave until heated through. Or you can heat in a saucepan.
You can add herbs such as basil or coriander if you want, or perhaps some chilli.

Last edited:
to be honest in all my days i have never add cream or milk to a tomato soup,they can be made as fat free as you want, vegetables tomatoes ,veg stock ,tomato paste good herbs to taste

to be honest in all my days i have never add cream or milk to a tomato soup,they can be made as fat free as you want, vegetables tomatoes ,veg stock ,tomato paste good herbs to taste
I know, I know.. as I said, this isn't supposed to be a gourmet recipe! I love properly made tomato soup too and often make it. But this is meant to be a Heinz tomato soup substitute...

I love cream of tomato soup - that and grilled cheese sandwiches paired together are heavenly, but probably not the best calorically - so I'm always open to nice substitutes that cut down on the calorie number!
Unfortunately, the grilled cheese sandwich will up the calories considerably! I'm yet to find a low cal version of that...

Back
Top Bottom