Different rice dishes

Paella: chicken and seafood

36788-albums309-picture5577.jpg

This thread prompted a discussion with my wife, and I discovered something that I didn't previously know. The better quality the rice, the less water is required to steam it. Although I've never actually measured the quantity of water to cook Jasmine rice, I put about ⅔ cup (100 gm) of rice in the cooker and add sufficient water to just cover it. My wife tells me that Jasmine rice needs a rice water relationship of 1.0:1.2 whereas the cheaper rice for the dogs is 1.0:1.5 relationship. Adding too much water is a good way to end up with congee.

Love my little rice cooker. Ramen noodles come out perfectly too. It takes about 12 minutes.

I do know that converted rice (Uncle Ben's long cooking rice) and Jasmine/Basmatti have different water:rice ratios. I can't seem to remember so I always have to look it up. We get our Jasmine and Basmatti from their respective ethnic markets/countries so cooking directions are either not on the bags or I can't understand them.

I think it's some processing thing they do to the rice. Uncle Ben's is a big brand name in U.S.

Yeah - we get Uncle Ben here too. I think we just don't call it 'converted rice'. It seems to be the same as 'parboiled' which is what I always assumed was parboiled white rice. But no! Converted (also called parboiled) seems to be brown rice which is par-boiled and then the skin removed. Its listed on the Uncle Ben packets in the UK as 'parboiled'.

See here for explanation:
https://www.myfearlesskitchen.com/brown-white-and-converted-rice/

Back in college, we'd make Uncle Ben's converted rice. Haven't done or made that for ages. There weren't very many varieties of rice available out in Indiana in the 70s, and besides it was quick.

I typically buy the sushi rice, or the Indian basmati rice. Sometimes brown rice. I've also tried that black rice - very sweet so a little goes a long way.

I love the rice cooker. Prior to that I'd often burn the rice and make the pot hard to clean. I also cook quinoa in it - seems to do it perfectly there, whereas the one time I tried it in a pot, it just didn't taste right (but... I didn't burn it!)

My saffron came in . I do have to see if I have time to make a recipe with it before the end of challenge. At any rate, I won't regretting having some on the spice rack.

Back in college, we'd make Uncle Ben's converted rice. Haven't done or made that for ages. There weren't very many varieties of rice available out in Indiana in the 70s, and besides it was quick.

You do realize converted rice and minute rice are 2 different products, yes? Converted takes 20 minutes. The minute, I don't remember it's been so long, but I'm guessing only a minute?

I typically buy the sushi rice, or the Indian basmati rice. Sometimes brown rice. I've also tried that black rice - very sweet so a little goes a long way.

I love the rice cooker. Prior to that I'd often burn the rice and make the pot hard to clean. I also cook quinoa in it - seems to do it perfectly there, whereas the one time I tried it in a pot, it just didn't taste right (but... I didn't burn it!)

My saffron came in . I do have to see if I have time to make a recipe with it before the end of challenge. At any rate, I won't regretting having some on the spice rack.

I think you'll like orzo cooked in the rice cooker, as well. I keep meaning to try my oatmeal packets in the cooker too.

Back
Top Bottom