Dining out for Christmas

Local time
2:34 PM
Would you ever consider going out to a restaurant on Christmas day for lunch or dinner? I know there are a few people who do this. I have always eaten my Christmas meal either at home with my family or at another family home, so I do not know what it would be like eating out at a restaurant on that day. I suppose if you are doing it with many family members it could still be a good experience. However, I prefer having the togetherness at a family home. I think this is a more relaxing experience. Furthermore, restaurant prices on this day are sure to be quite exorbitant.

What are your views on this?

There are pubs in the UK that serve Christmas lunch and one year I tried to find somewhere to have lunch. It can be very expensive, but if space is an issue then it can definitely be worth it and all places have set prices and you have to book. I don't think it's a bad idea, especially if there are family members that don't get on, because they have to behave in public and also it provides an opportunity for people to have their own space.

I spent one Christmas in a hotel with a now ex to avoid any family situations and there were many families staying there and it seemed idea. People had their own rooms and met up to eat together so it seemed less stressful. Good for families that could meet somewhere in the middle for traveling too.

Here in the UK the only problem is the wildly overpriced menus. A basic Christmas meal [and this must be booked a long time in advance] costs up to ten times the price of a similar meal at any other time of the year.

The are some people who do it as big file dinners here, but my family has never done it before. I guess it would be ok if you really did not want to make Christmas dinner, but I don't like the idea of it. Christmas is supposed to be about family togetherness.

I wouldn't. Christmas Eve and Christmas Day is considered to be family holidays and I just don't feel comfortable to participate in going out to eat, which in effect forces the people to work instead of being with their families. If for one reason or another me and my family do have to go out to eat, then we would tip a very LARGE amount (like at least 30%) in the holiday spirit.

All I can say is lots of luck on that one. I will never forget one year my family was going to go out for Christmas dinner. Guess what, there were no restaurant open it seemed. Yes, that was years ago and things could have changed since then. After all, since then things have gotten more commercial here in the United States. So, who knows there could now be places that are open on Christmas. I just haven't checked too recently to find out.

Our family value much the essence of the Christmas season that is why we see to it that during this special occasion we bond and eat together. Food preparations the day before Christmas is very well planned and we see to it that everybody's favorite will be serve on the festive table to share that blessings from Jesus Christ whose birthday we commemorate on that special day.

Christmas is a day you want a special meal, so to go out, it would have to be a nice restaurant. In the states, most places are closed for Christmas day. So, we rather make it a tradition to have a fun breakfast and a nice meal at home. However, for Christmas Eve, all fine dinning establishments are open, so we do go out for Christmas Eve because we have a small family and it saves time and energy. We go early, so we still have an evening at home on Christmas Eve to enjoy the tree as well as desert, eggnog, and get a sugar high.

Back
Top Bottom