Dinner Party for Meat Eaters & Vegetarians

A proper pizza oven in a restaurant can go as fast as 90 seconds. Home wood/gas-fired pizza ovens do it in around two-three minutes. The biggest complaint of new users in the home setting is burning their pies because they're done so quickly.

Any items that need to be cooked, like a raw sausage, are pre-cooked, anything that's delicate and could burn goes under the cheese.

Even with my standard home oven, which maxes out at 525F, I can turn out pies in nine minutes, assuming a relatively thin crust. That's also using a stone and heating the oven for a solid hour before using. First-time home pizza bakers, that's another mistake they make - they just go by the preheat alarm going off, and the stone or steel (if they're using one) never heats up sufficiently to give that nice crispy, spotted bottom. It needs a full hour.

In the example we did, we had two standard ovens going, a steel in one and a stone in the other, so we had no problem turning out pizzas, but at the same time, no one was expecting everyone to sit down at the same time and eat. It was more like, "Ok, we got cheese up! Plain cheese! Pepperoni and sausage in...three minutes! Who's up next?!" - then whomever felt like making the next couple of pies stepped up and topped theirs and those were entered into the rotation.

From first pizza to last pizza, some time went by, but between those, there was a pizza coming out every few minutes, and anyone who wanted some of that pizza had some, and those who wanted something else waited.

Oh, one other very important point - home pizza ovens tend to make pizzas on the smaller size...10 inches or so, so they feel more like individual pizzas - "that's my pizza!" - a pizza comes out, and it's really meant for one person, or two at the most if there're sides involved.

In a home standard oven, I can get pizzas in the 16-inch to 18-inch range, so they're definitely meant for sharing, and multiple people can partake of each pizza.

It's exactly that reason I don't have a home pizza oven - the pizzas are too small.

Last edited:
Oh, one other very important point - home pizza ovens tend to make pizzas on the smaller size...10 inches or so, so they feel more like individual pizzas - "that's my pizza!" - a pizza comes out, and it's really meant for one person, or two at the most if there're sides involved.

In a home standard oven, I can get pizzas in the 16-inch to 18-inch range, so they're definitely meant for sharing, and multiple people can partake of each pizza.

It's exactly that reason I don't have a home pizza oven - the pizzas are too small.
I'll try to locate an image of pizza oven...

dsc_0295_h600-jpg.jpg

Behind it was a BBQ pit and the pump. Underneath the fire area were the air vents for the accelerated side of life. We didn't actually ever use it with the air vents on when pizzas were in. I just used the air pump to heat the thing up. This was the first time I got it going after we moved into the last rental property we were in. There are some much better photos somewhere...

Last edited:
I'll try to locate an image of pizza oven...

View attachment 32210
Behind it was a BBQ pit and the pump. Underneath the fire area were the air vents for the accelerated side of life. We didn't actually ever use it with the air vents on when pizzas were in. I just used the air pump to heat the thing up. This was the first time I got it going after we moved into the last rental property we were in. There are some much better photos somewhere...
I love that! If I had gotten into making pizza earlier, I would have built one at the house (one of my brothers is a bricklayer), but now we know we're not going to be in this house for too many more years, so that's that.

A backyard pizza oven is kind of like a swimming pool - get one, and everyone is suddenly your friend.

Back
Top Bottom