Dinner Party for Meat Eaters & Vegetarians

Another option for main is to go down a pasta route such as lasagne. I've got several really nice vegetables ones and you could really do mini vegetable ones on an individual portion scale for the vegetarians. Just ensure if you do roast veg to use oil not lard.

Also have you confirmed thay both vegetarians are vegetarians and not vegans? There's a considerable difference and in my case I wouldn't actually be able to ready vegetarian even if I was as flexible with my diet as some (for instance my hubby will eat vegetarian if nothing else is available whereas I actually can't dairy to a dairy allergy that causes anaphylactic shock)

Yes they are definitely vegetarians, not vegans A vege lasagne sounds really tasty and could be made quite attractive in individual portions too, I presume also could be prepared ahead?

I did think this morning about pasta options, maybe trying a starter of ravioli, with something other than a cheese based filling, for everyone to make things simpler but then I remembered my fussy mother doesn't enjoy pasta, I think I've got my hands full with this lot lol.

Had a similar situation a few years ago when holding a New Years Eve party for around 20 guests. We ended up making some large steak and ale pies, port and Stilton gravy, and an exquisite vegetable tray bake that served as a side dish for the pie, but was good enough to stand on its own as a vegetarian main course. We baked a load of root veg with garlic and herbs, transferred it to baking dishes and topped it with bechamel sauce then browned in the oven. We also did mini baked potatoes, topped with sour cream and chives. Good rustic fare!

That made my mouth water just thinking about it! Thank you for the great ideas, I think a vegetable tray bake would be a massive hit with everyone!

It might be useful to know more about what sort of food your guests dislike (or particularly like). For example, there are many wonderful Indian vegetarian recipes (a significant population of India are vegetarian). Do you think they would like spicy food? It doesn't need to be hot with chillies - just lightly spiced.

It might be useful to know more about what sort of food your guests dislike (or particularly like). For example, there are many wonderful Indian vegetarian recipes (a significant population of India are vegetarian). Do you think they would like spicy food? It doesn't need to be hot with chillies - just lightly spiced.

I know for sure that most of us love Indian food, I would just need to check with a couple of people.

If we all do, that could actually work really well, do some curries, a vege one and a meat one, with vegetable side dishes, rice, naan etc. It would all be suitable for vegetarians other than the one dish, which can easily be made in bulk :hyper:!

Really loving this forum, everyone is so helpful! It's great to hear everyone advice and ideas.

If we all do, that could actually work really well, do some curries, a vege one and a meat one, with vegetable side dishes, rice, naan etc. It would all be suitable for vegetarians other than the one dish, which can easily be made in bulk :hyper:!

... and all can be prepared in advance. Home-made ice-cream for dessert maybe?

Paella would make a nice dish for the non-vegetarians.

Eggplant parmesan is one of my favorites, and can be made ahead. I like it with pasta to go with. You mentioned Spring, and I thought Pasta primavera. Kind of stumped since you don't want cheese, and pasta is now out as well.
I would take a look through the forum's different categories here for more ideas.

If everyone likes curry that is a great idea. You can do samosas, pakoras etc for starters.

I did curry (fennel rice, onion pakoras, popadoms, two types of chutney, tarka dahl, chickpea dish, cauliflower dish. (All home made apart from the popadoms). Everyone was suprised when I said it was all vegan. I usually make one meat dish when we have guests but I forgot!

If everyone likes curry that is a great idea. You can do samosas, pakoras etc for starters.

I did curry (fennel rice, onion pakoras, popadoms, two types of chutney, tarka dahl, chickpea dish, cauliflower dish. (All home made apart from the popadoms). Everyone was suprised when I said it was all vegan. I usually make one meat dish when we have guests but I forgot!

I agree with curries, who doesn't like them?

Russ

Something else I probably should have mentioned, it'll be late spring/beginning of summer, so I feel I shouldn't really serve a hearty stew or anything too wintery.

Soooooo, next Spring? Sure are waiting till the last minute for planning. :p:

Vegetarian is definitely easier than vegan. One option you have is pizza -- works with a variety of meat and/or veggies. To keep it easier, you can do mini pizzas on pita bread (or similar). For a little fun, you can set up a "Build your own pizza" bar, and people can add their own favorite toppings from a buffet of toppings. You just need a hot oven to do the cooking.

Set up a salad bar for a starter, giving people plenty of options.

Dessert doesn't need meat, and you can make it the day before the party.

This kind of party food not only gives people their choice of what to eat, but gathers your guests around a central table where they can talk as they build their dinners -- it is very casual.

CD

Soooooo, next Spring? Sure are waiting till the last minute for planning. :p:

Vegetarian is definitely easier than vegan. One option you have is pizza -- works with a variety of meat and/or veggies. To keep it easier, you can do mini pizzas on pita bread (or similar). For a little fun, you can set up a "Build your own pizza" bar, and people can add their own favorite toppings from a buffet of toppings. You just need a hot oven to do the cooking.

Set up a salad bar for a starter, giving people plenty of options.

Dessert doesn't need meat, and you can make it the day before the party.

This kind of party food not only gives people their choice of what to eat, but gathers your guests around a central table where they can talk as they build their dinners -- it is very casual.

CD

LOL I know, nothing like planning ahead :laugh:

Oh pizza, I didn't think of that. Defo sounds like fun too! Thank you

Paella would make a nice dish for the non-vegetarians.

Eggplant parmesan is one of my favorites, and can be made ahead. I like it with pasta to go with. You mentioned Spring, and I thought Pasta primavera. Kind of stumped since you don't want cheese, and pasta is now out as well.
I would take a look through the forum's different categories here for more ideas.

Thank you, it's difficult isn't it LOL

There's so many awesome vegetable dishes aren't there, Indian food is certainly looking like the easiest option for everyone at the moment, I just hope they all like it, fingers crossed.

I went on an Indian cooking experience a couple of years ago and one of the recipies was a Chana Masala which was delicious, I'll have to dig that out.

Ummm, me. :whistling:

CD

Curries can vary so much - from hot vindaloo to mild aromatic dishes with no chilli at all - India is a huge country with many different cuisines and the word 'curry' doesn't really mean very much in terms of defining a dish. When I hear folk say they don't like curry I always think its a bit like saying they don't like casseroles. And I always get the urge to cook them a curry that will change their mind! :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom