Diversions for those stuck at home

Ok, at the end of March, I posted this...

...and here's what I did with it:

View: https://youtu.be/sMVFA1HtmBU

Today is my and MrsTasty's 30th anniversary, and I wrote that as a wedding present, so now seems an appropriate time to share it.
That's recorded simply by propping my iPhone up and videoing it, so the sound may be a little iffy, and my voice does it's usual unsolicited croak a time or two, but that's just because, at 53 years old, I'm finally going through puberty. :)

The drum and bass parts are made with that little rhythm box, and that was very much a pain to program.
Absolutely brilliant! There's something a bit Claptonesque going on there. Congratulations to both of you :bravo:

Today is my and MrsTasty's 30th anniversary, and I wrote that as a wedding present, so now seems an appropriate time to share it.
That's recorded simply by propping my iPhone up and videoing it, so the sound may be a little iffy, and my voice does it's usual unsolicited croak a time or two, but that's just because, at 53 years old, I'm finally going through puberty. :)

The drum and bass parts are made with that little rhythm box, and that was very much a pain to program.
TR you never cease to amaze me. You are a man of many talents. Congratulations to you and Mrs. Tasty. I have to ask about her reaction to this lovely song that you wrote and recorded for her.
Wishing you both many more decades of marital bliss. 👩‍❤️‍👨

Brilliant, you are a dark horse aren't you??
Russ

Thanks all!

I have to ask about her reaction to this lovely song that you wrote and recorded for her.
MrsTasty is a little unusual in that she doesn't like music. It's almost like she doesn't even "get" music, if that makes any sense. In 32 years, I've never seen her buy any music or listen to any music. If we're in the car together, the first thing she does is switch the radio off. Once, a long time ago, I do remember her saying that the repetition with music got on her nerves. To her, music is beyond frivolous.

So her reaction to that...I don't even know if she had one, except that if she did, it was probably 🥱. I played one live once, and said, "I wrote this one for my wife," and one of the other guys in the band who was always a quick wit, said, "Every song a person writes is about their partner...either how much they love them or how much they hate them. Which one is this gonna be?" :laugh:

When I was a working musician, she hated that, and had zero interest in it. I've played live off and on since before I knew her, and did so professionally for about 10 years while we were married, and during that time, she saw me play live maybe twice. You know how band stories are rife with girlfriend/spouse issues? The other guys in the band loved her...precisely because she kept her nose 100% out of anything band-related. :laugh:

Things work almost in reverse here. My partner is a talented musician. I'm not. I can do three chord guitar, some harmonica and the good old tin whistle. Catherine has the happy knack of being able to play just about any instrument she picks up.

The one thing I have a talent for is writing lyrics. I can give her the basics of a tune and she can put something together. So it comes together. Sometimes in odd ways. Genre? Irish Geordie Ukrainian African duck folk punk. With a bit of blues.

Musics big in this house, wife ran a music store in out local mall. She's met a lot of famous people. Our (hers) cd collection is huge, whenever I get in her car and turn the key on, I get loud blast of music. Kids grew up with my loud rock n roll music so we are all music lovers. Same with shows wife and daughter into them as well. Me I'm not into shows. Wife went to shows nearly every night when we were in London.

Russ

Looks like we're going into a second wave so thought this topic could be revitalized.

I like doing puzzles of all types.
I also borrow DVDs from my local library (they deliver to the parking lot so no touch service).
I play free online games with friends (ie. Scrabble, Monopoly, etc.).
I've downloaded books to my Kindle (Amazon has a plethora of free and low cost e-books).
Getting my apartment more organized (ie. got 7 boxes of donations out yesterday).
And, of course, trying new recipes! (Thanks to all of you!).

Well done. I need to do some of that. I'm a bit overwhelmed by how much 'junk' I have to get rid of.

I've been putting it off for about 100 years, so I just decided that I was going to do it come h*ll or high water. The time flew by so I didn't get around to making the homemade biscuits (not cookies ;-) I wanted with my pot roast. It was worth it though. I felt so proud of myself. Still have more to do but the hard part is done.

At the beginning of the year we made a list of jobs to do around the house and garden. Due to lockdown we haven't been able to do everything we wanted to. We did get loft insulation so 1 weekend, TVC cleared out the loft, laid the insulation then we went through everything rubbish/recycle/keep. We have done the same with the cupboards and wardrobes in the spare room, we wanted to redecorate but hasn't been possible so bit by bit, again rubbish/recycle/keep. TVC is now working his way through the kitchen, 1 cupboard at a time.
Doing it this way makes it less daunting than doing a room at a time. Charity has done well this year.

Maybe we need to find a time that more or less works for a good number of people here, pour ourselves a drink, and log in and share pics and all that. :)
I don't know about the same time, given the widespread nature of the forum.
rascal would be the first to see on any 'celebration' followed by myself and murphyscreek. then I beleive it would be Yorky .... then these in the Mediterranean, Europe, UK before heading over to the east coast of the U.S.. and westward.
It may work better if it was a photo of drinks at a certain time of day, your local time.

But I know I'm not the only one who does not stay up to see the New Year in. So we'd need to pick a certain daytime time for most to participate. A dedicated thread would be best, both for the decision and for the resulting photos.

LissaC, I wish I could make it better for you. If I could go back in time to your age I would do things so differently. I know it's hard but the BEST thing I ever did for myself is to distance myself from family drama and toxic people. It took me decades and for me to end up totally broken to realize it. I'm not trying to tell you what to do or cross boundaries. I really just want you to know that you are not alone and there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Sure, I miss out on family "togetherness" but I also miss the verbal and physical abuse (yes, my family is VERY toxic). I even have much younger siblings like you. I was always there for them and they both turned on me as adults because they didn't want to be disinherited like I was. I don't care because I needed loving and supportive parents. Money cannot replace that.

A very good friend (now gone), the closest I had to a loving mother figure, told me "You are a beautiful swan surrounded by ugly ducklings." and she was right. I honestly thought my parents would chill out in old age. They are just as hateful, back-stabbing and as mean as they were when I was a kid. I love them because they brought me in the world but I would NEVER choose those type of people as friends. Friends are the "family" we get to choose.

All the best to you, my dear. Remember, you are not alone.

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one with a such a family. I used to do everything for them. I was always there for them and there in person, on their door, when they needed me despite living +200 miles away at the time. We'd often end up driving up overnight whilst one of us slept in the car. Ready, there in the morning to do whatever was needed before driving the 230 miles home again. Time off work, annual leave, flexi leave, or just entire weekends were all taken up on this manner years on end.

And yet when I needed them the most, despite being 20 miles away, it took them 6 months to even visit us, let alone consider helping. In fact help never came. My husband's family came to see me long before my own family did and then with my family it was the one who lived furthest away who came first.

I try to forgive, but it's hard. I know that they came out to help us home when our cycle attempt around the world ended are jaws of a pack of dogs, but for my mother that was exciting. She got to go to a corner of the world she has not been to and would not have done because it was outside of her comfort zone. She got to be the center of attention, so she helped. but I was actually fairly mobile them. When I need her the most (or any longer in my family) when my back went and left me bedbound for 9 months, no one helped. We were on our own totally. If hubby had not brought me something and left it on the bed in reach, then I had to manage for the entire day without it. Medication, food, water, entertainment, the lot. He literally made me a picnic every morning before going to work. Family could have helped out but they didn't. Forgiving is difficult. Forgetting is going to be impossible.

I am curious with the experiences of members who live in Asia, I have a hunch all this mask/lockdown resistance isn't mostly a western thing.

They have a culture of wearing masks so far more wear them. Even here in Australia, before covid-19, before the bush fires (we all needed N95 & ideally N99 masks during the fires and masks were night on impossible to get hold of during last summer ), it was a common site to see people of Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, and to a lesser extent Japanese decent wearing masks all the time (even whilst driving). It was something we noticed coming out here 4½ years ago. How much more prevalent they were. But not so much amongst the younger generation.

SatNavSaysStraightOn, I am so sorry you also know what it's like to have a one-sided relationship with family - the people who should be there for us through thick and thin. I lied to myself for decades saying they weren't good with day-to-day stuff but would *surely* come through if it was something major. I'll spare you the details but, suffice it to say, they tormented me in my darkest hour.

One thing I can tell you with absolute certainty is we deserved better and it's no longer our burden to hold it together so everyone else is taken care of while we are left alone in our darkest moments. You are clearly strong, capable and resilient. We are survivors.

Back
Top Bottom