Do brand names really matter when buying at the grocery?

I am not picky either. I feel half of the time you are just paying for that specific name brand and most of the time its just the same as the others. I look for quality in anything so thats what i would be worrying about.

Less/no packaging. I'm lucky to live near 4 organic farms. I prefer organic milk from the cow i can see out my window:wink:

I really don't pay attention to brand names. There are certain items that you do need a brand name for, though but I can't think of any specific ingredients that you would use when your cooking from scratch. I don't really care for organic because I'm on a budget and don't have the money for organic! I've heard from Dr.Oz that labels are always lying to us anyways & there's no such thing as "gluten free" for example.

No. If you are buying canned food at a grocery, chances are the can next to the can you pick up was manufactured at the same place and it's the same food with just a different label. If you want to buy the best food possible, I would suggest hitting up your local farmers' market for some fresh produce. It'll be fresher than your grocer, taste better, be less expensive, and you get to support your neighbors.

I'd say about 90% of the time it doesn't matter if you buy name brand vs store brand. Ice cream is always better name brand. But if I am buying canned goods, then I will get store brand. Store brand is most of the time cheaper.

Yes, meat bought locally is very different to supermarkets, a lot more flavour and the colour of steak is darker. Locally grown organic carrots are a lot sweeter. I prefer english apples, I grew up on foraging so thats what apples taste like to me. Organic spartans and braeburns are lovely home grown. Milk is certainly different to me, but the local organic milk tastes different to supermarket organic too.

Yes, meat bought locally is very different to supermarkets, a lot more flavour and the colour of steak is darker. Locally grown organic carrots are a lot sweeter. I prefer english apples, I grew up on foraging so thats what apples taste like to me. Organic spartans and braeburns are lovely home grown. Milk is certainly different to me, but the local organic milk tastes different to supermarket organic too.
It was mostly the milk I was asking about, but very good to hear! Although of course, the milk could just be down to the breed of cows being used, since each breed has a different flavour if I remember right. For instance, I know that for some reason the milk you get in Spain tastes so much like sweetcorn to me. But it never does at home. Also, for some reason no one else notices the difference, so maybe it's just me.

Back
Top Bottom