Do certain foods or drinks bring back memories for you?

Potato pancakes, especially with a good smattering of garlic, remind me of sitting around by the shores of Lake Balaton, enjoying said pancakes with a glass or several of Hungarian beer and watching the sun go down. A leisurely way to end a day of hard-working tourism. Duck visits lake shock.

Christmases, when I was a young child, were always the same - lots of food, lots of drink, lots of presents, and one of our chickens for dinner! There were always chickens and rabbits hanging up in the kitchen for a week or so before Christmas, but the biggest chicken used to be ours. When things started to get a bit easier, we had chicken at Easter too, and later always one when we were on holiday. It was still a while before chicken was cheap enough to eat every week. I never even had a turkey until I was in my twenties, a year or so after my daughter was born.

In my teenage years, when everyone else of my age was drinking cider, I used to drink Stingo or Guinness. I always used to wonder at first why the bottles of Stingo were a lot smaller than the bottles of Guinness. I soon found out :laugh::cheers:

Christmases, when I was a young child, were always the same - lots of food, lots of drink, lots of presents, and one of our chickens for dinner! There were always chickens and rabbits hanging up in the kitchen for a week or so before Christmas, but the biggest chicken used to be ours. When things started to get a bit easier, we had chicken at Easter too, and later always one when we were on holiday. It was still a while before chicken was cheap enough to eat every week. I never even had a turkey until I was in my twenties, a year or so after my daughter was born.

In my teenage years, when everyone else of my age was drinking cider, I used to drink Stingo or Guinness. I always used to wonder at first why the bottles of Stingo were a lot smaller than the bottles of Guinness. I soon found out :laugh::cheers:
My dad's family does not particularly care for chicken. Well I should say most of dad's brothers and sisters and some of my older cousins. Apparently when one of the younger brothers was in high school or junior high, he had to prepare about 400 chickens and enlisted the family's help.
Now most will/would eat chicken if someone else fixed it, but chicken was not allowed in our houses.

My dad's family does not particularly care for chicken. Well I should say most of dad's brothers and sisters and some of my older cousins. Apparently when one of the younger brothers was in high school or junior high, he had to prepare about 400 chickens and enlisted the family's help.
Now most will/would eat chicken if someone else fixed it, but chicken was not allowed in our houses.
We only had chicken because we kept our own. Same with rabbit. We did have lamb, beef and pork, but a small joint had to last 6 of us 2 days. In fact until I was about 4 or maybe 5 I never had meat at all, just the gravy on vegetables. Meat was still on ration after World War 2 until 1954 and was expensive.

We only had chicken because we kept our own. Same with rabbit. We did have lamb, beef and pork, but a small joint had to last 6 of us 2 days. In fact until I was about 4 or maybe 5 I never had meat at all, just the gravy on vegetables. Meat was still on ration after World War 2 until 1954 and was expensive.
You are about my mom's age. My dad's family didn't have much either. They farmed cotton. Now I was never at the farm because a few years before I was born, granddaddy got sick and the older children moved their parents into the town that the three oldest girls had moved too. And 3 of the boys.
My two youngest uncles were still in high school.

You are about my mom's age. My dad's family didn't have much either. They farmed cotton. Now I was never at the farm because a few years before I was born, granddaddy got sick and the older children moved their parents into the town that the three oldest girls had moved too. And 3 of the boys.
My two youngest uncles were still in high school.
My sister's sister-in-law lives (or that could be lived - she would be well into her eighties now) in Arkansas. Her husband's family used to farm cotton, and they were never that well off. Just after they took it over, he had a terrible accident as well. I think maybe he was better off when he was in the USAF in the 1950s - that was how they met because he was stationed in the US air base near where she used to live in Middlesex.

To get morning glory even more confused, when my dad died, my mom lost her brother-in-law.
Mine is more complicated than that. My late half-sister was and my daughter still is the only ones with their original partners, although to be fair my Mum was a widow when she met my Dad. My half-sister (whose sister-in-law was mentioned and started this conversation) is no longer with her husband who is that woman's brother and he is also best of friends with my half-sister's present husband. Neither of my [legal] husbands are the father of my daughter, but her father and I are still friends. We met up again about three years ago, and his wife is lovely. He met her after we split up when the rotten UK immigration people wouldn't let him into the UK and sent him back to Germany and I couldn't renew my visa, but he is not German. Confused? You will be.....:laugh:

Mine is more complicated than that. My late half-sister was and my daughter still is the only ones with their original partners, although to be fair my Mum was a widow when she met my Dad. My half-sister (whose sister-in-law was mentioned and started this conversation) is no longer with her husband who is that woman's brother and he is also best of friends with my half-sister's present husband. Neither of my [legal] husbands are the father of my daughter, but her father and I are still friends. We met up again about three years ago, and his wife is lovely. He met her after we split up when the rotten UK immigration people wouldn't let him into the UK and sent him back to Germany and I couldn't renew my visa, but he is not German. Confused? You will be.....:laugh:
:hyper: New thread idea coming on...

Back
Top Bottom