Do Coca-cola and Pepsi have some health benefits?

The funny thing is that we drink 7UP when we have the flu because it does soothe an upset stomach. My 8 year old have a stomach bug a couple of weeks ago and was vomiting. I went to the store and bought him 7UP to drink and he thought I was the best mom in the world. It really does help you out.

Well it just goes to show that despite all the bad things that can be said for these drinks, they still have a little good in them. I must say they are very good thirst quenchers too. I believe that 7UP would be safer than the other sodas/aerated drinks because it has no added dye. However, it still has a high sugar content. We just have to exercise good common sense when it comes to these things and use them in moderation.

It would appear that Coke has some medicinal benefits, but not long-term health benefits. It is not something to be indulged in since it can impact on one's health overtime. Where its effect on the teeth is concerned, I have heard some people say that it puts their teeth on edge. Apart from that, however, it may also cause stains to appear on the teeth after a while. The sugar content in these drinks is also way too high. However, taking small sips when feeling ill, like having stomach issues, can be beneficial. I drink these drinks very sparingly these days.

I agree about the nausea side of things...when I was in labor having my baby I felt SO sick (naturally!) and all I wanted was sips of coke and apple juice! Not only did it make me feel a bit better but it also gave me some energy too, to keep going!

Before I used to drink Coca Cola and Pepsi because it really taste good. But now I am avoiding it already. Even there are reports that it had good benefits for stomach upset still they are chemically carbonated drinks which we all knew is not good for our health. We can only attest to its bad side effects when we are drinking i. already in the longest span of time. I am just aware to things that might affect my health.

Caffeine
One of the benefits of drinking Coke is that it contains caffeine, a natural stimulant found in the kola nut, coffee beans and tea leaves. Caffeine makes you feel more alert when you're tired and might increase your performance when embarking on certain tasks. According to the International Food Council Information Foundation, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, or FDA, has recognized caffeine as an additive that's Generally Recognized As Safe, or GRAS, since the late 1950s. Moderate consumption of caffeine -- around 300 mg -- is generally not harmful for healthy adults, although some people are more sensitive to caffeine. A 12 oz. can of Coke contains 34 mg of caffeine, far less than the average cup of coffee, which contains 85 mg of caffeine.

Sugar
Furthermore, Coke is loaded with added sugar, which is not a benefit to your health. The Center for Science in the Public Interest, or CSPI, labels Coke and other soft drinks "liquid candy" and points to these beverages as a major contributor to weight gain in children and adults. When the Hilltop Singers earnestly sang they wanted to buy the world a Coke, they weren't kidding: CSPI reports that companies such as Coca-Cola manufacture enough soda pop to provide more than 500 12 oz. cans of pop to every person in America annually. Weight gain leads to more serious health complications such as type 2 diabetes, heart attack, stroke and certain types of cancer. A 12 oz. can of Coke gives you 140 calories, almost all from an added sugar called high-fructose corn syrup. MayoClinic.com indicates that added sugars are simple carbohydrates that give you calories, but no essential nutrients.

Coke and Diet
The Coca-Cola Co. is actively involved in philanthropic endeavors, a compelling reason to make it your soft drink of choice. In June 2011, the company announced that it gave $200,000 to the World Islamic Economic Forum Foundation to help empower women economically. Weigh the health and nutritional benefits of drinking Coke before popping open the can, especially if you're watching your weight. The American Heart Association recommends that women get no more than 100 calories daily from added sugar. Men should limit added sugar calories to no more than 150 calories.

If there are health benefits as some suggest, surely I am not benefiting as I have not had a Pepsi in about more than ten years and I'll probably have a coke one every three years. It's not that I am actually counting. What I will say though is that the odd time I drink a very cold coke it's like I get a "high" of sorts. Not sure what a real high feels like but I always say there is nothing like a very cold coke. The horror stories always kept me away.

Any non-poisonous food is good in small amounts. Fruits, vegetables, certain sweets and mushrooms they're all good. Sugar is needed by the body to process certain chemicals in the stomach but not too much. Your brother probably had low glucose levels at the time that's why the nurse recommended him to drink some coke but any sugary drink or food is also good.

When I gave up drinking alcohol I used to drink diet pepsi (zero calories) or diet coke, particularly if I went to the Pub. So...you can drink coke or pepsi without the high sugar content.

But the thread title says something about health benefits............!!!!!!!!!!
Well arguably the zero cal one's do have health benefits for some people if they help weight loss. Also, they helped me give up alcohol. Not that it lasted :(

I never said they were healthy! But I think they have a new line which contains natural plant sugar-substitute.
Classic Cola.jpg

Back
Top Bottom