Do I need to prepare this whetstone (remove the black ink)?

Ben-xD

Local time
10:13 PM
I bought a whetstone a few years ago from ebay, and have only used one side, the 4000 grit. I want to use the 1000 grit to really sharpen the knife better, but it has this black ink, not sure if it will damage the knife or make it uneven.
20200912_135204.jpg

What should I do? Thanks

There is no need to remove the writing, you will just gradually wear it off as you use it
though you will need to soak it in water for 20 mins or so before you use it

Search YouTube for 'Japanese Water Stones' and there are loads of references

I suspect you've made a slip of the keyboard and meant 400 grit, not 4000
the higher the number, the finer the grit, so you should start with 400 then go to 1000
On the other hand, if it really is 4000 grit you should use 1000 followed by 4000

Beware - Japanese water stones are rather brittle and can break fairly easily
Don't drop them on the floor, or place them on an uneven surface
Put a piece of damp cloth underneath them to stop them sliding on the bench

I've never used a stone, except in electric sharpeners which have high-speed rotating stones to sharpen knives. :wink:

Hmmmm........we're in danger of getting away from the OP and turning this into a longer general thread.......but here goes anyway

My Dad was a carpenter and I was brought up on oil stones; I use them most of the time, though I have used water stones & diamond stones sometimes

But that's for sharpening my leatherworking and woodworking knives & tools
For my kitchen knives I usually use a steel

Hmmmm........we're in danger of getting away from the OP and turning this into a longer general thread.......but here goes anyway

I wouldn't worry. The OP hasn't been back here since making this one post.

My Dad was a carpenter and I was brought up on oil stones; I use them most of the time, though I have used water stones & diamond stones sometimes

My Dad was a carpenter too! I believe he used an oil stone. He was apprenticed at 14 and really knew his craft.

Back
Top Bottom