Do people get set in their taste as they get older?

I think that anything that affects the brain can affect one's tastes. My son was diagnosed with a brain tumor at age 16. They weren't sure how long it had been there, but they think perhaps since birth and during puberty the hormones caused it to grow. It was the size of a robin's egg and put pressure on his hypothalamus which affected his vision, sense of smell, taste, and cause him to be dizzy and nauseous at times. It was inoperable and was eventually treated with radiation that caused it to shrink and disappear, but he still has the mindset of a 12 year old boy in many aspects, such as his food tastes. He will not try new things and has a limited mindset on what foods he will eat, such as only Iceberg lettuce (no Romaine, green leaf, etc. in his salads), prefers to eat boxed macaroni and cheese and pizza, etc.

He is able to work and drive, and is somewhat self-sufficient, but his social skills are awkward and he really prefers to be alone. He was such a chatty and gregarious boy before he hit his teenage years. He is 34 now. The doctor likened his current condition to that of someone who has mild autism and it's never going to change, unfortunately.

JAS_OH1
That's so sad
It is, but I am just grateful he is alive and is not a vegetable or physically handicapped. I wish he loved being around his family and other people. I wish he could have met someone and fallen in love. I don't know how he feels about being alone, but I do know that he gets extremely anxious in social settings, even with just his sisters, grandma, and other immediate family. I know he thrives at work because he works in an Amazon warehouse where he uses robotics and is an expert in logistics and in working with computers and programs. He has gotten several raises for his excellent performance. If he was able to interact well with others I am sure he would be in management by now.

As an elder, I'm allows up for something new, so long as there's nothing that I'm allergic to in it.
Having been born and raised in a HUGE melting pot of cultures, I think, has given me the attitude of "I'll try it".
(edit - to answer the question directly, for me, that's a no, I'm not set in my tastes.)

I think that anything that affects the brain can affect one's tastes. My son was diagnosed with a brain tumor at age 16. They weren't sure how long it had been there, but they think perhaps since birth and during puberty the hormones caused it to grow. It was the size of a robin's egg and put pressure on his hypothalamus which affected his vision, sense of smell, taste, and cause him to be dizzy and nauseous at times. It was inoperable and was eventually treated with radiation that caused it to shrink and disappear, but he still has the mindset of a 12 year old boy in many aspects, such as his food tastes. He will not try new things and has a limited mindset on what foods he will eat, such as only Iceberg lettuce (no Romaine, green leaf, etc. in his salads), prefers to eat boxed macaroni and cheese and pizza, etc.

He is able to work and drive, and is somewhat self-sufficient, but his social skills are awkward and he really prefers to be alone. He was such a chatty and gregarious boy before he hit his teenage years. He is 34 now. The doctor likened his current condition to that of someone who has mild autism and it's never going to change, unfortunately.
Blimey thats a big change in where you think your boys going and where he ends up.
I applaud your attitude to it.
I always think making the best of what you've got is admirable 🏆

Reading through these, there’re really two similar discussions going on; one around whether our taste (voluntarily or involuntarily) becomes set as we age, and a slightly different one of whether a person is an adventurous eater or not.

I don’t really have an opinion on that first one, but for the second one, I’m not an adventurous eater/taster at all. Doesn’t mean I won’t try “new” things, but I need to have a good reason to do so and a good feeling about whether I’ll like it or not.

I’m not going to try something just to try it. I’m extremely cautious about tasting anything bad and usually I’m not willing to risk it.

Reading through these, there’re really two similar discussions going on; one around whether our taste (voluntarily or involuntarily) becomes set as we age, and a slightly different one of whether a person is an adventurous eater or not.

I don’t really have an opinion on that first one, but for the second one, I’m not an adventurous eater/taster at all. Doesn’t mean I won’t try “new” things, but I need to have a good reason to do so and a good feeling about whether I’ll like it or not.

I’m not going to try something just to try it. I’m extremely cautious about tasting anything bad and usually I’m not willing to risk it.
I'm the exact opposite.
If it's edible I'll try it.
Years of being told from the moment I could comprehend words that I should try everything at least once leaves it's mark!

Alcohol helps.

my father - in hospice - who "almost "survived" cancer (-1 month...) - put it pretty damn clearly:
"Do you think two scoops of ice cream is going to kill me?"

pre-that was my grandfather
then pre-that my grandmother
then father
then my mother-in-law
then my mother.

me and hospice have a very conflicted relationship.

Blimey thats a big change in where you think your boys going and where he ends up.
I applaud your attitude to it.
I always think making the best of what you've got is admirable 🏆
Eek, yeah, but it amounts to 18 years of getting used to the fact that it's not going to change, and also 18 years of observing others who have children they will be physically caring for their entire lives...such as a friend of mine who has a daughter with cerebral palsy (from birth when the umbilical cord was wrapped around her neck) and is incapable of bathing herself entirely by herself, can't drive, can't work, and can't cook her own meals. Yet she can feed herself and can talk and comprehend, so that's something. And a neighbor who's son passed away 2 years ago at 36 but was so severely handicapped (from birth) that he was never able to talk, feed himself, walk without assistance, or take care of other bodily functions on his own.

Eek, yeah, but it amounts to 18 years of getting used to the fact that it's not going to change, and also 18 years of observing others who have children they will be physically caring for their entire lives...such as a friend of mine who has a daughter with cerebral palsy (from birth when the umbilical cord was wrapped around her neck) and is incapable of bathing herself entirely by herself, can't drive, can't work, and can't cook her own meals. Yet she can feed herself and can talk and comprehend, so that's something. And a neighbor who's son passed away 2 years ago at 36 but was so severely handicapped (from birth) that he was never able to talk, feed himself, walk without assistance, or take care of other bodily functions on his own.
Be grateful for what you've got type of thing?

Back
Top Bottom