Do you aerate your wine?

They have these things that can pull the air out of the bottle and keep the wine fresh for longer. We don't have use for that kind of thing. I don't know if this means I have a problem or not, but 1 bottle of wine (just for me) does not give me a hangover...hmm.

I have one of those things. I honestly can't tell you if it makes a difference. Like you, we rarely kept open bottles of wine around.

CD

I can’t remember where I read/heard it, but I do follow the “rule” that wines that are supposed to be served room temp need to go into the fridge for 20 minutes, and wines that are meant to be served chilled need to come out of the fridge for 20 minutes.
Yeah, I mentioned this earlier. It's very important otherwise the wine can taste 'hot' meaning it tastes alcoholic and chilling down reds will eliminate that and the supple characteristics of the wine is drawn out. 20 minutes I haven't heard that rule before but I can go along with the premise for sure.

They have these things that can pull the air out of the bottle and keep the wine fresh for longer. We don't have use for that kind of thing. I don't know if this means I have a problem or not, but 1 bottle of wine (just for me) does not give me a hangover...hmm.
Yep we have one of those vacuum stoppers too....no idea if it works or not :drink:

I have been to a few wine tasting parties and have visited vineyards. The presenters all said the same thing about serving red wine at room temperature. Room temperature does not refer to the temperature of a room in my home. It refers to the temperature of an underground, stone wine cellar. I put red wine in the fridge for 20 minutes before serving. That with breathing or aerating really improves the flavor/complexity of red wine.
Yes that's absolutely correct - room temperature refers to the era before insulation and central heating. At the last red wine tasting we did (at a vineyard in Cha Châteauneuf-du-Pape) the owner kept the reds in a fridge - which surprised some people. She was very clear that red wines should generally be served at around 14-16 degrees C.

We keep all our wines in the garage - even in the summer it doesn't get very warm in there so they stay nicely chilled and the reds are ready to drink year-round. In the winter the white and sparkling wines are a nice drinking temperature, though they do need further chilling in the summer (which is why we have a wine fridge in there).

How many times after I've asked our server to chill our red, I've been told they serve their reds at room temperature. Lots :banghead: Seriously though it seems it not a concept very well known and I can't blame the average person but a restaurant that sells wine should at least understand the basics. Oh well.

How many times after I've asked our server to chill our red, I've been told they serve their reds at room temperature. Lots :banghead: Seriously though it seems it not a concept very well known and I can't blame the average person but a restaurant that sells wine should at least understand the basics. Oh well.
Not only that, but what ever happened to "the customer is always right"?

I can drink it no problem, and be a jovial fellow, but the next morning I'm foggy with a head ache..
That stinks. I get that way with whiskey or tequila. I'd have to drink a lot more than 1 bottle of wine to feel that way. But I do drink it slowly and drink water before bed. It might take me 4 hours to finish a bottle, and there's always food involved.

That stinks. I get that way with whiskey or tequila. I'd have to drink a lot more than 1 bottle of wine to feel that way. But I do drink it slowly and drink water before bed. It might take me 4 hours to finish a bottle, and there's always food involved.
I also might start with a beer or two while getting dinner ready..so, I'm no saint..

Well, they aren't always right, but should respond as if they were. lol
Yes, no question about it. It's no great hardship to chill a bottle of wine and make the customer happy.

My husband's cousin really makes servers cringe when he orders filet mignon well done, lol, but they don't argue. It makes me cringe too, ugh!

Yes, no question about it. It's no great hardship to chill a bottle of wine and make the customer happy.

My husband's cousin really makes servers cringe when he orders filet mignon well done, lol, but they don't argue. It makes me cringe too, ugh!
The end cuts of fillet mignon have to be served to someone. :D

Back
Top Bottom