Do You Care if a Recipe is Authentic?

The other word I don't like is "traditional". I consider "traditional" as made in the manner of the family. Whether several families ,in the same region, have their own version of a dish.

Like all cosmopolitan counties that are able to embrace other cultures the vibrant mix of other nations (mostly in cities) led to an explosion of fantastic dishes and amazing chefs.

I think its fair to say that we have some of the best restaurants and food in the world in the UK, due to just that fact. It may also be our downfall, of course, because we are very dependent on imported produce and that is becoming more expensive due to various factors such as climate change.

Food in most of Europe and most of the rest of the world is far more parochial and based on what it traditionally produced in the locality/country. The UK has always been a nation which imports far more food than it exports (with the possible exception of seafood which is another discussion!).

I think its fair to say that we have some of the best restaurants and food in the world in the UK, due to just that fact.
And I´d add that we probably have some of the most diverse cuisines available. In London, you can find restaurants from almost any country in the world: as an example, I was driving through SE London yesterday, and saw Jamaican, Colombian, Bolivian, Cambodian, Vietnamese, Kurdistani, Nepalese...

Brilliant article. Thankyou.

‘Gastronationalism‘ great new word.

Loved this line “As Grandi points out, a tradition is nothing but an innovation that was once successful.”

Link to article. Well worth a read.
Subscribe to read | Financial Times

It really is a wonderful article on this topic.

It was shared to a group on FB where I could open & read it but I couldn’t share the link or open in a browser unless I subscribed BUT I was able to copy & paste the entire thing into notes on my phone, email it to my desktop, C&P to Word then print it.

So if anyone is desperate to read it please message me your email address and I’ll send the Word doco.

I care about authenticity when I am trying out a new recipe from a particular place because I want to get a taste of that destination and what it would be like if could go there and eat it.

To do this I normally hunt down several recipes written by natives of that country and look at the common denominators before selecting one which I feel may capture the quintessential spirit of the dish in its most generic form.

Well, I tried to post a reply, but the forum software didn't like something in my reply.

CD :headshake:

Well, I tried to post a reply, but the forum software didn't like something in my reply.

CD :headshake:
That happens sometimes. It seems to trip up on the word s e l e c t for some reason, and I think there are a couple of others.

It really is a wonderful article on this topic.

It was shared to a group on FB where I could open & read it but I couldn’t share the link or open in a browser unless I subscribed BUT I was able to copy & paste the entire thing into notes on my phone, email it to my desktop, C&P to Word then print it.

So if anyone is desperate to read it please message me your email address and I’ll send the Word doco.
Sorry about the link it worked when I used it (don’t know why as I don’t subscribe to the Financial Times), it’s definitely worth a read if folk can find it.

When it comes to recipes, I don't consider authenticity. Otherwise, there will not be any fusion cuisine exist. Cooking should be creative and involve personal preferences. It's okay for anyone who only follow their own "authentic" / "traditional" / "original" recipe, but to be honest they are indeed many different versions of "authentic" / "traditional" / "original". So who cares? just cook what you want in your own way as long as you enjoy it!

That happens sometimes. It seems to trip up on the word s e l e c t for some reason, and I think there are a couple of others.

What I tried to post was that I sometimes research a dish and try to find out the origin, and cook it they way it was originally made, just for the history lesson. I put a link to my "Texas Red Chili" recipe in the post. Maybe that messed things up.

CD

I'll always search out the origin of a recipe also and see if I can reproduce it..over time, I usually modify it to suit my tastes and ingredient availability..

The other word I don't like is "traditional". I consider "traditional" as made in the manner of the family. Whether several families ,in the same region, have their own version of a dish.
I interpret "traditional" a little different.
I would say something like: Traditionally it is eaten with (let's say jasmine rice) but I prefer it with pasta (or whatever).
Very unlikely by the way :)

When it comes to recipes, I don't consider authenticity. Otherwise, there will not be any fusion cuisine exist. Cooking should be creative and involve personal preferences
Well yes, I understand your point completely. However, unless there is an " authentic" , ie. clearly original recipe, then there will never be fusion. For example, if Alfredo de Lelio had not been pulling his hair out, wondering what to cook for his pregnant wife in Rome, then there would never have been a " Fettucine Alfredo", and millions of Americans would not have been able to enjoy their own "Salsa Alfredo". If, in India, no-one had ever come up with a recipe for marinated chicken, cooked in a yoghurt and tomato sauce, then there would never have been "Chicken Tikka Masala" - the Brits´ favourite dish!

Well yes, I understand your point completely. However, unless there is an " authentic" , ie. clearly original recipe, then there will never be fusion. For example, if Alfredo de Lelio had not been pulling his hair out, wondering what to cook for his pregnant wife in Rome, then there would never have been a " Fettucine Alfredo", and millions of Americans would not have been able to enjoy their own "Salsa Alfredo". If, in India, no-one had ever come up with a recipe for marinated chicken, cooked in a yoghurt and tomato sauce, then there would never have been "Chicken Tikka Masala" - the Brits´ favourite dish!

It is my impression that the British version of Indian food is definitely not "traditional" Indian food.

CD

Back
Top Bottom