Do You Cook On Holiday/Vacation?

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
12:07 PM
Since I do 100% of the food shopping, prep, and cooking at home, I have a pretty strict rule that I absolutely will not cook when we're on vacation. It also helps that, as much as I like home-cooked food, I also quite enjoy a meal out. It gives me a chance to try something I otherwise might not cook, and hey, somebody else is doing all the work. :)

The last break we took, we rented a cottage and it came equipped with an Aga - I'd never seen one in person before, so I did break my rule long enough to make a proper full English breakfast, and I also made a pizza (side note - the cooker performed wonderfully).

How about you? Do you cook meals on holiday/vacation breaks? If so, do you like to, or do you do so because you feel like you have to, or that it's expected?

We have, at least for breakfast/brunch/lunch, but really prefer not to as it's a VACATION.
Not only is it considered a bit of work, but a big part of vacation in a different area to me is trying all the different eating establishments, places we'll probably never see again.

As soon as we pick a destination, the absolute very next thing I always do is to start looking up all the restaurants and pubs nearby, and actually planning this place for a nice meal, that place for breakfast, this bakery for another breakfast, that pub for beer and burgers, etc.

As soon as we pick a destination, the absolute very next thing I always do is to start looking up all the restaurants and pubs nearby,

I choose destinations because of the restaurants (or because of certain local produce) - so the other way round.

But I also love to cook when on holiday. I get bored otherwise and miss my 'fix'. I've been known take loads of ingredients with me...

I choose destinations because of the restaurants (or because of certain local produce) - so the other way round.

But I also love to cook when on holiday. I get bored otherwise and miss my 'fix'. I've been known take loads of ingredients with me...
Do you ever stay in hotels, where you don't really have the ability to cook?

This last trip was the first time we rented s place with a real kitchen. We've stayed in efficiency apartments before, but they never had an oven - usually just a one or two burner electric cooktop, a small fridge, and a sink. Cooking at home, I use my oven a lot, and I always felt like, "Hey, half the kitchen's gone missing!"

When we used to go to Walt Disney World, a lot of times we would rent time share condos/townhouses, which of course had a full kitchen. There were a lot of unsold ones at one point, probably still are for that matter, and you could really get a good deal, like a 2 or 3 bedroom place for the price of a regular hotel room because they would rather have some money coming in than nothing at all.

A few times when we've been down to the upper middle Florida Keys, we'd rent a place where we could dock the boat and they usually were efficiency places that had a whole kitchen.

Depends. If I ever go back to a cabin in Maine (we - the family - used to rent one, and one week I rented it by myself in my early 20s) - it was so much fun to make contact with the local lobsterman (a couple of times we got rides aboard the lobstering boat, although it was illegal for us to help out in any way, we could ride along). We went clamming and searching for steamers, moon snails, periwinkles, whelks, mussels. I was in my Euell Gibbons phase at that time, and so I foraged for sea spinach and other shoreline edibles. It was a blast to forage, and help cook what we brought back. Too bad we didn't know at the time that sea urchins would become a delicacy!

We bought lobster cutting out the middle man, and had a blast eating the foragings. There was a patch of wild raspberry on the island - Mom made the best cobblers!

Again, it depends. Foraging isn't possible everywhere, and if I'm somewhere foreign (to me), I WANT to delve into the local delicacies. I've been to New Orleans twice (both pre-Katrina). Even if we had cooking facilities in the hotel room, I'd have been OUT eating OUT.

Scotland (I was told) isn't renowned for its cuisine. I was there for two weeks in the 90s, and ate so many things I seldom see at home - or prepared differently than at home - loved everything (except the blood sausage). There wasn't an option to cook for myself, but frankly, I don't think I even thought about that. PS: I adore haggis...

There are several nations on my bucket list, and I don't think I'd need to cook in whatever facility I might be staying in during those trips. Maybe a breakfast or two, if I don't feel like going out early. Although honestly, there are three criteria for a nation to be on my future bucket list: Scenery. Culture. Cuisine.

When I vacation and visit my brother in his old home (he still owns) in Illinois, or when I visit him in Florida -- I'm happy to cook my own breakfast, and indeed volunteer to make some to share. They usually decline - their idea of breakfast is some juice, occasional Kurig coffee, and maybe some toast, although Saturdays seem to be where they hunger for a real breakfast - and the bro steps up to that plate. We did cook together one or two meals when I was last in Illinois - which I recommend for sibling bonding.

The last real vacation I took was two years ago, when I drove up through the Berkshire region of Massachusetts (prior to moving here). There was a coffee maker in the motel, but no kitchenette. If there had been, I could see enjoying cooking (I mean, not just nuking) a real meal. As it was, I was glad there were plenty of good restaurants with menus more or less open to exploration. And so... I did. I think a lot of it is the purpose of the vacation. Were I could go back and really forage again... yes I would!

Too bad we didn't know at the time that sea urchins would become a delicacy!

They are on my 'to eat' list. Oddly - although they are found in the seas around the UK they are never seen except in top end restaurants very occasionally. And I've never had them!

Umm, I think what I want to say is that cooking while on vacation, assuming both the facilities and the requisite food is available - is not something I'd consider tedious or un-vacation/holiday worthy. Well, unless I've been driving for hours to get there...

If I'm in a place where so much is going to be new - heck, I'm out there at such and such a restaurant, and eating!!!!

They are on my 'to eat' list. Oddly - although they are found in the seas around the UK they are never seen except in top end restaurants very occasionally. And I've never had them!

I think the Maine sea urchins are smaller than the ones from the US west coast. This is just a guess, though I now understand the Maine ones are also edible. They were seriously an invasive flood back when I was there - 70s and 80s - that one had to wear sneakers to walk in the tidal pools. Those spines hurt! I had one puncture through the sneakers around June or July one summer, and the spines broke off. They worked their way out the fallowing winter. I hear they've decimated their numbers (in Maine) for reasons I don't know.

They are good - most quality Japanese sushi bars will carry them here, if only on weekends, when there is a larger amount of clientele. Since a lot of people are afraid to try / or have tried and didn't care for texture.

We only eat out maybe once or twice a week on holiday - partly for money reasons, partly because supermarket shopping is one of my favourite activities on holiday. Luckily we have a hob, grill, oven and gas bbq when we're away so cooking is still fun.

We don't stay in hotels very often nowadays, but we did once live in a hotel for a month....we very quickly got fed up of eating in restaurants every day.

I bet you'll like them. They are briny and buttery to me. We find them once in a while in the restaurant supply place. They can be a bit of a pain to clean though.

I don't normally eat brekky , BUT if I'm in the uk I like staying at b and bs. Always a nice cooked brekky that lasts thru the day. At Xmas here we rent with our son and daughter and their kids in a great holiday spot called Nelson. Great swimming plenty to do up there. My kids have young kids and work really hard 24/7 so when we go away I cook all meals. Cooked brekky and dinner. We take a small BBQ to the beach and picnic area where I cook sausages in bread with salads. Like mg I love cooking and pleasing everybody. We've done this for the last 6 years so we are staying home this year. Just day trips this year so I will get a bit of a break??? Although there's talk of a few days in Queenstown??

Russ

I haven't been on a "self catering holiday" since I was a kid. The family always did back then; we even took a second car (my aunt's) full of provisions (my mum didn't believe you could buy "proper food" down south).

Back
Top Bottom