Do You Cook On Holiday/Vacation?

When I was twenty, I liked the idea of going camping with friends during the summer holidays and cooking (and eating) was the last of my / our thoughts. Usually they were a bit spartan camping, but this was exactly what we enjoyed and it was funny to prepare a whole lunch using a camping stove. Surprisingly, they were often quite successful meals. I think back to those years with affection, but now I really couldn't do it anymore.
I then discovered the convenience of staying in a hotel or B&B, eating what they propose, or even not eating what they propose and going out for lunch or dinner when I want, without having to touch a pot. Probably also due to the post-work effect in wanting to relax and not having to think about what to put on the table.
The thing changes a bit when I'm in Sardinia, at home. I like the idea of having friends or even some cousins to invite and cook for them something quick and light (almost 42 C, yes definitely something light), just to rediscover the taste of a home that nowadays I rarely see except in summer, and share food, chatter, pleasant moments.
When I am by the sea in general I avoid going back home or to the hotel / B & B for lunch, I prefer to eat something at the restaurant on the beach, or at most a sandwich.

Sometimes I cook on vacation. On TUE. I'm flying down to spend 5 days at Anna Maria Island!!! TUE. I'm meeting three friends for dinner/drinks. Then WED afternoon through SAT night 25 poker chip collectors/players will arrive and we'll start a 4 day party. The host will cook on SAT. I'll probably assist. Otherwise I'll be eating fresh fish every day.

Used to stay in hotels but now it always has to have a full kitchen. We will still go to local pubs and restaurants but as cooking isn't a chore for me I love to have somewhere I can prepare food. Our favourite country to go is Spain, the markets and restaurants are fantastic and I love to shop for local ingredients. We don't stay out late so our normal day is walking for miles, a few pints in local pubs, shopping for ingredients then back to villa/apartment where we cook, relax and then early to bed. I don't think we will ever holiday in a hotel again.

Sometimes I cook on vacation. On TUE. I'm flying down to spend 5 days at Anna Maria Island!!! TUE. I'm meeting three friends for dinner/drinks. Then WED afternoon through SAT night 25 poker chip collectors/players will arrive and we'll start a 4 day party. The host will cook on SAT. I'll probably assist. Otherwise I'll be eating fresh fish every day.

You have a very understanding wife, but I think you know that,lol.

Russ

No we don't cook on holiday. We rarely go on holiday because while we're well off we're not rich and we prefer to eat out regularly ( about twice a month) instead of paying for a longer holiday.

Last year we went on a city trip for three days and to a festival for four. As those holidays are so short and we love to go out for dinner we indulge ourselves while we are out. I cook 100% while we are at home so this is a nice break to have.

Used to stay in hotels but now it always has to have a full kitchen. We will still go to local pubs and restaurants but as cooking isn't a chore for me I love to have somewhere I can prepare food. Our favourite country to go is Spain, the markets and restaurants are fantastic and I love to shop for local ingredients. We don't stay out late so our normal day is walking for miles, a few pints in local pubs, shopping for ingredients then back to villa/apartment where we cook, relax and then early to bed. I don't think we will ever holiday in a hotel again.
That's pretty much us too. I spend too much time in hotels when I'm away with work, and seldom find the food worth eating. The joys of walking round a foreign supermarket or street market on the other hand!

Yes I do!!! We do vacation separately. We absolutely love vacationing together!!!
We've taken breaks separately, I don't really think of them as vacations, but when we do...everyone around us has the same reaction: "You let your wife/husband go somewhere without you?! I'd never do that!"

:laugh:

Ciao,

Ray an I when go away always go in self cater, when Bambini little no an eat at hotel, food some time good some time no so good. To be truthful I find many resort ristorante food of poor standards. I do like see different things in different country. So I do cook when away.

Sarana x

Not really. I cook the majority of our meals. Just my wife and I. Sometime for people visiting. Holidays my wife cooks. She is an incredible cook and grew up with nine brothers and sisters. She knows how to cook for a lot of people

If I’m traveling I rarely cook. I usually stay in hostels because they’re cheaper and cooking in a hostel kitchen is too messy for my liking. On top of that when I’m traveling I spend the entire day walking around and I’m usually not at my accommodation at lunchtime and too tired to cook at the end of the day. Even when I stay at my friend’s house in London, we never cook (he can’t cook) and eat mostly ready meals, and in London I find a variety of tasty ready meals that we thankfully don’t have in Portugal. If I’m there on a sunday we and some of his coworkers go out for sunday roast.

Not really. I cook the majority of our meals. Just my wife and I. Sometime for people visiting. Holidays my wife cooks. She is an incredible cook and grew up with nine brothers and sisters. She knows how to cook for a lot of people if she is an

I have to ask - if your wife is an incredible cook, why do you cook the majority of meals?

We both love to cook. I get home about and hour to an hour and a half before she does.

Ah - that makes sense then. In the past my partner did most of the cooking because he was a stay at home Dad and I was the 'breadwinner'. If we went on holiday, in those days it was to a caravan holiday park (lots of entertainment for young kids) and I would do all the cooking. I rather enjoyed cooking with limited facilities - but I always brought a box of spices and herbs etc in the car.

We are on permanent holiday here. Pre covid we would visit friends and family in different parts of Europe. To be a friend of mine you have to appreciate.... ME and good food so I don't need to cook.The first real holiday hopefully we will have is this Christmas. We have promised to visit Dil and Trine in Oslo, they have a log cabin in the wilderness that in the winter. You can only get to the cabin by ski doo sleigh taxi's, sorta like Uber on ice. I have not been as excited by a holiday in years. Dil is a fabulous cook. So all we will do is eat and build snow men.

Back
Top Bottom