Do You Cut Up Whole Chickens Yourself?

I have never cut a whole chicken myself. Here in Portugal every butcher and every butcher in a supermarket will do that for you. I always buy whole chickens since they're less expensive. One chicken makes me 3/4 meals.

Do they charge to cut it up for you? I don't know if they charge here because I've never had it done. However, a cut up chicken costs more than a whole chicken.

Do they charge to cut it up for you? I don't know if they charge here because I've never had it done. However, a cut up chicken costs more than a whole chicken.

They don't charge anything and they the chicken costs the same.

Reactions: mjd
I am fine with doing this myself. I am fine if others do it for me. But then again, since I am raising chickens here, I am often doing the step before the dismembering, too...

If I do buy a whole chicken, actually I enjoy cooking the whole thing as a one-piece roast. The cats, er now, the cat, gets the excess white meat.

The only time I cook a whole chicken is over charcoal and wood with a rotisserie, Otherwise, I buy just the pieces of chicken I want. So, I've never had any need to cut up a whole chicken before cooking,

CD

Yes, I usually buy the pieces I want - the thighs and/or legs. But if there's company, a whole chicken works. I would like to purchase a rotisserie, but it is not urgent. I roast on a roasting rack and the entire bird is fine.

But then again, I am raising some of my own chickens for the dinner table, which means I am now perfectly fine with breaking them down for storage, after that (ahem) step that happens just before that. I do vary up the cuts for the freezer.

Back
Top Bottom