Do you cut yourself prepping food?

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
6:10 AM
I havnt cut myself in three or four years but using my new Smeg knife I cut myself twice within 15 mins. First the knife was flat on the board, I thought blade was facing away from me, it wasn't, small nick. Then a potatoe had a bad piece in the middle. Knife skipped, cut again. I never do this!!
How often do you cut yourself?

Russ

Can't remember the last time I cut myself with a knife (I'm a slow cutter), but I have on opening tins or crab/prawn shells occasionally. I burn myself more frequently - maybe 2 or 3 times a year. :/

I was so thrilled to have a Mandolin I was slicing away. G was taking to me. My attention turned to him instead of my mandolin. Sliced off the tips of three fingers. Two were moderate slices. My index finger was a big slice. Blood all over the place. Ran to the bathroom for bandages. G followed with a piece of my finger. :hyper:
I have cut myself with my chef knife a few times. Because my knife is always very sharp all cuts have been clean.
If I did not drink wine I probably would never cut myself. :drink:

I rarely cut myself when I'm using a knife to prep things. It's when I take a shortcut and use a knife as a bench scraper, or if I'm using the wrong knife for the job at hand (like a knife that's too big/small for what I'm prepping).

Every time I've cut myself, it's been 100% my fault, not the knife's.

I'll add that I've never cut myself with my mandoline, but then I always use the guard, because I have more fear/respect of that item than just about any other item in my kitchen.

I have, however, nicked my fingertips more than once on my cheese grater.

I rarely cut myself when I'm using a knife to prep things. It's when I take a shortcut and use a knife as a bench scraper, or if I'm using the wrong knife for the job at hand (like a knife that's too big/small for what I'm prepping).

Every time I've cut myself, it's been 100% my fault, not the knife's.

I can't imagine an inanimate object being at fault. They are inanimate. However, there's extension cords and garden hoses, that are able to tie themselves in six knots all by themselves. :mad:

CD

I've used a mandolin twice, and cut off a fingertip both times.

And that's why a mandolin will never get in my hands.!!

I was so thrilled to have a Mandolin I was slicing away. G was taking to me. My attention turned to him instead of my mandolin. Sliced off the tips of three fingers.

I simply don't understand why people would use a mandolin without using the guard. Its like using a bandsaw without the guards. This is an important health and safety issue which is why I'm flagging it up. Sorry to lecture but its A1 important.

I've never cut myself with a mandolin but I did once manage to sever the tendon in my thumb with a chopping knife. It was a deep cut and eventually over two days seemed to heal. Then suddenly I felt a 'ping' and the top section of my thumb flopped forward. I was supposed to have an op on it but decided (probably stupidly) to splint it myself to see if it would heal - which it did after two weeks.

I simply don't understand why people would use a mandolin without using the guard. Its like using a bandsaw without the guards. This is an important health and safety issue which is why I'm flagging it up. Sorry to lecture but its A1 important.
Me neither....I always use the guard when I use the mandolin. Plus rubber gloves (washing up ones)....they give better grip, and if things do slip they give just enough protection that I don't end up cutting myself.

Back
Top Bottom