Do you do your own preserves?

I always make strawberry jam when strawberry season comes here in our place. The fruits are so cheap and they are abundant everywhere in the market selling place or even in the strawberry farm where we usually buy and it is more cheaper and fresh there. And also since we had abundant of very big radishes all through the four seasons here in our place I always make pickled radish as one of our side dish for our daily meals. And during the season of peaches where it also available everywhere and cheap I always make peach preserves which is really a sweet thing.

@ReadmeByAmy, Is there any chance you could post your pickled radish recipe? I know its an Asian speciality and something of an acquired taste (according to some) but I have been looking at recipes recently and would like to try it. Some of the images I have found of pickled radish look so beautiful!

radish pickled.jpg

@ReadmeByAmy, Is there any chance you could post your pickled radish recipe? I know its an Asian speciality and something of an acquired taste (according to some) but I have been looking at recipes recently and would like to try it. Some of the images I have found of pickled radish look so beautiful!

View attachment 1585
I've been using pickled radish as a salmon garnish lately

From what I remember, the only preserve I can do is the mango preserve. We do that when there is a big harvest from our mango tree. I would peel the mangoes and slice them in small pieces (bite-sized is preferred). The marinade (if that is what you call it) is sugar and salt. The mango slices are placed in a container before showering it with half a cup of sugar and 1/4 cup of salt. No water, please. Shake it very well and keep in the fridge. It is ready to eat after 3 days and the preservation can last for 2 months.

From what I remember, the only preserve I can do is the mango preserve. We do that when there is a big harvest from our mango tree. I would peel the mangoes and slice them in small pieces (bite-sized is preferred). The marinade (if that is what you call it) is sugar and salt. The mango slices are placed in a container before showering it with half a cup of sugar and 1/4 cup of salt. No water, please. Shake it very well and keep in the fridge. It is ready to eat after 3 days and the preservation can last for 2 months.
That sounds so simple. I must try it - but how many mangos are used with the quantity of sugar and salt you give here?

That sounds so simple. I must try it - but how many mangos are used with the quantity of sugar and salt you give here?

If your mango is the size of your fist (ours is much bigger) then maybe try this recipe:
20 mangoes (fist-size), peel and slice, do not include the core/seed. Put in a clean container with cover - what we use is a plastic biscuit can. Add a cup of sugar and 1/4 cup salt by sprinkling evenly. Put the cover and shake the container 5 times just to be sure the sugar and salt are evenly applied on the mangoes. Do not add water. The mixture will produce a liquid of its own.

That's it. Happy eating after 3 days. I bet you, that's a good one.

If your mango is the size of your fist (ours is much bigger) then maybe try this recipe:
20 mangoes (fist-size), peel and slice, do not include the core/seed. Put in a clean container with cover - what we use is a plastic biscuit can. Add a cup of sugar and 1/4 cup salt by sprinkling evenly. Put the cover and shake the container 5 times just to be sure the sugar and salt are evenly applied on the mangoes. Do not add water. The mixture will produce a liquid of its own.

That's it. Happy eating after 3 days. I bet you, that's a good one.
Sadly, mangos are rather expensive here so buying 20 would be beyond my budget. But I guess I could scale this recipe down. Many thanks.

Sadly I do not have the time to make my own preserves. Also, in my region in Asia eating bread with jam isn't very popular anyway the fruits are eaten as is, fresh and all. We do not have local berries like Western countries do so the only preserved in my country that's popular and cheap is mango and strawberry jams which are very delicious.

I used to live in Florida and we had a lot of marvelous stores specifically for produce. Most of it was locally grown. Once a month or so, we'd go and check the clearance racks at one of the shops down the street. I would buy a few banana boxes of whatever was still good enough to use. Then, I'd return home to sort through it all. If we could eat it right away, we would. Any fruit that couldn't be eaten within a few days was turned into preserves. Doing it this way resulted in a lot of interesting varieties of preserves at our house. I think one of my favourite was vanilla pear. It had a little apple in there, too, but mostly pear. Yum!

I used to live in Florida and we had a lot of marvelous stores specifically for produce. Most of it was locally grown. Once a month or so, we'd go and check the clearance racks at one of the shops down the street. I would buy a few banana boxes of whatever was still good enough to use. Then, I'd return home to sort through it all. If we could eat it right away, we would. Any fruit that couldn't be eaten within a few days was turned into preserves. Doing it this way resulted in a lot of interesting varieties of preserves at our house. I think one of my favourite was vanilla pear. It had a little apple in there, too, but mostly pear. Yum!
@lili , why not post the recipe for vanilla pears?

Back
Top Bottom