Do you eat organs?

I do eat chicken livers and beef livers on a rare occassion. It's not a food I can eat a whole lot of. For someone that gets migraines quite a bit, I was encouraged to eat livers at least once a month. I did for a few months but then quit. It's been over a year since I last had liver.

Personally, I do not like offal. There is one exception to this. I love pate which is made from liver. If I was asked to eat a plate of liver and onions or a bowl of pan fried livers I genuinely couldn't even attempt it so I do not know why I love pate so much. If I order a steak and Kidney pie when eating out I will pick the kidneys out of it. My daughter is keen for me to cook heart for her one day (or she was until she decided she was pescatarian a few weeks ago) but I can't bear the thought.

I live in France at the moment and patés made from pig and duck livers (including the world-famous foie gras) are eaten everywhere. My favorite is a kind of paté made from pork fat, liver and spices common in Southwestern France.

That said, I also love andouillette, which is a kind of sausage made from pig's intestines. There's also boudin, a sausage made from congealed pig's blood, cinnamon and other kinds of spices that the French cook with green apples and onions. It's delicious!

I live in France at the moment and patés made from pig and duck livers (including the world-famous foie gras) are eaten everywhere. My favorite is a kind of paté made from pork fat, liver and spices common in Southwestern France.

That said, I also love andouillette, which is a kind of sausage made from pig's intestines. There's also boudin, a sausage made from congealed pig's blood, cinnamon and other kinds of spices that the French cook with green apples and onions. It's delicious!

Blood sausage is also very common in my country. I think they make it the same way, from pig`s blood with cinnamon and some all spice. Although the idea of eating a sausage made of blood is repulsive to many people, I think it is delicious as well.

I remember a thread (here or someplace else) were there was a discussion of all the regional variations of blood sausage, in Spain we had morcilla, which is super delicious. The Brits call it black pudding and have it as a staple with the basic English Breakfast.

I think branding makes a big difference, your average American is much more likely to chow down on some black pudding that something called a blood sausage XD

I`ve heard about British black pudding before, but I did not know that it was actually a blood sausage variant. Very interesting to see that different cultures have variations of the same meal. And I used to proud myself that blood sausage is only available in my country. :D

May I ask which country that is? I love different cuisines, and even within countries you get different regional variations. Even the US has its own blood sausage through Louisiana and cajun cooking, for instance. In fact, as far as I can tell that's where they're hiding all of the nommy offal in this country, Louisiana and the rest of the South.

I`m from Romania, and even here in my country, blood sausage is only prepared and eaten in the north-western part of my country, in Transylvania, where I live. It is nice to learn that blood sausage is known even in far off southern US.

Oh, cool... I don't know much about Romanian cuisine, I live in San Francisco and we have a decent variety of restaurants but Google suggests that none of them are Romanian.

New York does seem to have a few though, so next time I find myself out there I'll have to find one and check it out because the image searches I did look pretty delicious.

You should definitely do so. Romanian meals are mostly very hearty and naturally made. But we also have some exotics in the menu that many people would not touch. Personal recommendations of mine, that you should check out, would be Ciorba soup and cabbage and meat roulades with sour cream. Those are staple in Romania, and I hope our abroad chefs make them as good as here. :D

Last edited:
I've been craving liver lately, but have been wondering what else to add to it that can stand up against the flavor. I don't want to disguise the flavor, really, it's just that liver just tends to taste really strong so it takes some strong-flavored ingredients to make it more complex. Onions, garlic, and ginger seem pretty spot on, as well as vinegar, soy sauce, salt and pepper. Maybe cloves or oregano? Yams and beets might accompany liver better than potatoes, although maybe I'm biased because I can see how any kind of rice will also accompany the liver well: white rice absorbs the flavor, red or brown rice would act as a counterpoint.

I've also read here about intestines and hearts, but are kidneys also another organ that's common to eat?

Back
Top Bottom