Do you enjoy cooking for a large crowd?

dawnolsen

Veteran
Local time
3:15 PM
I love to cook but the task of cooking for a large crowd can be daunting at times. With so many people around all competing for my attention I find that I have trouble focusing and make mistakes. Do you enjoy cooking for a large crowd? Can you handle the stress?

I really do not like cooking for large crowds. I find that I get distracted and my food does not come out as I had intended. I start to get nervous If I am cooking for more than 10 people. I prefer my at home gatherings to be small and intimate so we can all enjoy a good meal and conversation.

It's what I do !the most I've done is fed just over a 1000 ,In the restaurant we will do 150 covers on prime dates and do 100 covers regularly ,last mid sized function I did outside was for 240 with ,240 potions of canapés then 20 whole salmons dressed then 20 boned and rolled turkeys roasted with turned potatoes and fresh veg then 240 portions of Christmas puds then mini mince pies,it's all about being organised

If I was cooking for a large crowd, I'd make sure almost everything was cooked and/or assembled earlier and either served cold or re-heated. Otherwise, I think I'd probably collapse under the strain! I have great admiration for Professionals like Berties. But at least they have a slight advantage in that the 'crowd' don't come into the kitchen to distract them!

If I was cooking for a large crowd, I'd make sure almost everything was cooked and/or assembled earlier and either served cold or re-heated. Otherwise, I think I'd probably collapse under the strain! I have great admiration for Professionals like Berties. But at least they have a slight advantage in that the 'crowd' don't come into the kitchen to distract them!

And for me, it would more than likely be a one-pot meal - to cut down on time and eliminate having to make so many dishes. :wink: :headshake::stop:

May be guests don't come direct to me ,but it's amazing how many people develop,food intolerances at the final hour and the other booked tables that arrive all at the same time !the heat is on as well as the pressure
:eek:

I do enjoy cooking with a lot of people but cooking for a large crowd is different. The fact that there are so many people waiting for the food I'm making puts so much pressure on me so I tend to be jittery over the simplest things. In the end, I don't think I'll do well and feel really bad about it. So cooking for large crowds is definitely not for me.

I don't enjoy cooking when someone is looking at me. I can't concentrate and experiment freely when someone is always judging the way I cook.

I do not like cooking for a crowd. I hate sweating while cooking. If you cook for a long time then you end up sweating a lot. I can choose any work than cooking for a crowd.

I do not like cooking for large groups of people and when I do it is a one pot meal.

Cooking in volume is difficult because the taste would more likely be different than cooking in moderate volume. In the eatery near our school in the yonder days, I could see that the steamed rice had a lot of leftover that was sticking at the bottom of the pot. The same with the dishes, the owner of the eatery said that it is hard to maintain the taste when cooking in volume.

I love cooking for a large crowd. I'll even attempt to do it with no help at all. The problem I have with preparing meals for a lot of people though is the plating. I hate doing all the sharing so once i'm through cooking i'm usually out of the kitchen.

I love to cook but the task of cooking for a large crowd can be daunting at times. With so many people around all competing for my attention I find that I have trouble focusing and make mistakes. Do you enjoy cooking for a large crowd? Can you handle the stress?

I used to do a LOT of this back in the day when life was a lot less stressful. I am actually from that environment as I watched my mom prepare meals from visitors from far and wide so when it came time for me to entertain it was just a extension of what I had witnessed. I used to love it but I found there were times when I got really tired and wanted to take a break. Now that life has changed and lots of folks have gone in different directions, it does not happen as much. I still have the reputation of being the cook for the crowds so when someone from my faith has a large gathering to feed and they are short of volunteers I am called him. I still love to watch people enjoy my cooking.

cooking in really large numbers you need different cooking equipment ,steamers, boilers and batt pans are a real asset ,a bratt pan you can braise, fry ,salute ,large amounts of food ,when you've done you wash them out ,tilt them forward,and drain out the contents and your ready to again

Back
Top Bottom