Do you feed your animals homemade food?

lexinonomous

Veteran
Local time
1:48 PM
I've always loved the idea of feeding my animals homemade treats and bowls of healthy foods, but I've just never given it a "real" shot. I know that it's completely possible. Animals weren't always made to be our companions and get along perfectly fine in the wild, so it's not as if they absolutely have to eat Kibbles N Bits.

I'm curious as to how many of you create homemade meals for your dogs. If you do, what kind of food do you give them? Is it more of a hassle to create meals for your animals or do you find it easier?

This has been discussed before. See Cooking for Your Pet? which was quite a long running thread. If you look there you will see the responses. I don't feed my dog home-made. He gets a balanced diet from the dried pellets and the vet advised that its better to stick to that because if you start supplementing foods the carefully balanced nutrition in the pellets is put off balance. He gets a few handfuls of the pellets a day. What could be easier! He's bouncing with health and gets top scores in his vet check-ups.

Its quite interesting really. Apparently, the makers of (higher end) dried dog foods were called in to help develop the perfect balanced diet for astronauts! Anyway, I reckon my dog looks pretty gorgeous on it!

Photo on 20-11-2015 at 14.11.jpg

I've made my dog treats before. They looked quite mess but I was thrilled and so were they. I found a carrot recipe the other day and I am going to make that for them as well. I have only made peanut butter dog treats so far, but I stumbled on several treats I could attempt. Some of them look great for both animal and humans.
Check out the one I posted here: https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/breath-freshing-biscuits-for-dogs.6416/#post-43578

Last edited:
I made some before. A friend wanted to sell them, however, ironically my dog wouldn't eat them! I felt quite insulted...I was expecting my compliments to the chef with a tail wag! Not to be!

I make food for my dogs, supplemented with dry food from the shop. I use any kind of meat that I can find cheaply (also organ meat), cook it and mix it with cooked vegetables and rice. Don't add to much rice, maximum 40% of the meal can be carbs. The dogs absolutely love this, and I know they eat fresh veggies this way. Not all vegetables are suited for dogs, they cannot have onions, garlic, tomato and not to much cabbage.

This has been discussed before. See Cooking for Your Pet? which was quite a long running thread. If you look there you will see the responses. I don't feed my dog home-made. He gets a balanced diet from the dried pellets and the vet advised that its better to stick to that because if you start supplementing foods the carefully balanced nutrition in the pellets is put off balance. He gets a few handfuls of the pellets a day. What could be easier! He's bouncing with health and gets top scores in his vet check-ups.

Its quite interesting really. Apparently, the makers of (higher end) dried dog foods were called in to help develop the perfect balanced diet for astronauts! Anyway, I reckon my dog looks pretty gorgeous on it!

View attachment 2035

This is good to know - I guess part of me had a guilty conscience for feeding my pup only dry dog food pellets - he gets the healthy ones, but I wondered if it was enough. He occasionally gets some veggies that are dog safe that we don't eat, but it's useful to know that it can upset the nutritional balance of the dog foods - sorry pup!!

My five years old pug doesn't like dog biscuits or pedigree. So we always give him homemade food. Boiled egg with chapati and milk is his favorite food.

Back
Top Bottom