Do you feed your garden birds?

Badgers are omnivorous and real opportunists. They will certainly take young rabbits and I have heard cases of badgers eating grey squirrels.

On bird song: I remember flying into Gatwick airport very late one night. We got out of the terminal at about half-past one in the morning and the clearest sound that could be heard was a song thrush giving it full voice.

I have a large badger set on my land. I also have 5 chickens. I didn't know badgers ate chicken's. I haven't had any trouble so far. Thank god.
No it's odd how they operate there is a load of sets near by and they go past a well maintained chicken run , and through in to my land , I am well fenced and they still get in , one really damaged a feather edge gate I have ,that blocks off a log store and the badger managed to give it some grief
When I had chickens I only ever had the fox and that was if I got careless and not locked up

Well some weeks back, I saved a blackbird that fell in my 'abandoned' pond outside. It got trapped in the water somehow and I called in my husband to help me get it out of the pond to safety. We had to keep the dogs away who seemed eager to have a taste or invite lethal play with the poor thing. I was very excited about the rescue mission. With all this bird talk, I really feel to spend some more time outdoors observing them.

Even though I have been raised in an environment that really has been the home to birds, when I saw the bird collect the worm from the peas with such skill, I was in awe. My brother has been collecting birds for decades. Perhaps I should have paid more attention. I now understand where he has found much of his entertainment.

Well it's 8.30 now and all the birds have gone to roost except the blackbirds they are still very chirpy
And a old rook in the distance

Did I mention the juvenile robin that came to inspect me over the weekend? I always have the bedroom window open no matter what the weather and the juvenile robin came in through the open window and down onto the equivalent of my windowsill. It had a good look around, including looking at me for several seconds (it felt like minutes) before I said hello to it hoping that it would hop off back the way it came and not come into the bedroom. Luckily it remembered the way out! But it was nice seeing it up close.

Did I mention the juvenile robin that came to inspect me over the weekend? I always have the bedroom window open no matter what the weather and the juvenile robin came in through the open window and down onto the equivalent of my windowsill. It had a good look around, including looking at me for several seconds (it felt like minutes) before I said hello to it hoping that it would hop off back the way it came and not come into the bedroom. Luckily it remembered the way out! But it was nice seeing it up close.
A lot of birds come up to me as I feed them in the garden ,it's also like they wait for you to come out,they are just looking for food

Last edited:
Looking out of my bedroom window yesterday afternoon, i spotted a goldfinch and kept an eye on it. Sure enough, goldfinches are nesting right outside the back of our house. Things like that cheer you up.
we had a bulfinch in the garden ,not close to the building ,but a defiant colour of its front was clearly visible

we had a bulfinch in the garden ,not close to the building ,but a defiant colour of its front was clearly visible
We are a nesting pair that are getting from the bedroom window feeder. It is wonderful being within a few feet of both the make and female Bulfinch. I don't think birds can see through this window properly because you can literally be within a foot of the window and it does not concern them unless the light is on and it is going darker outside!

The only birds we have around here are pidgeons, but we inadvertantly feed them nonetheless. There is a stray cat that moved into our garden shed a couple of years ago. We tried to bring her(?) into the house once, but she wasn't having any. So we feed her our cats' leftover wet food and she gets a big scoop of dry food as well. We call her Fluffy McPoufPouf. She is very, well, fluffy. She has been known to eat the pidgeons. We have found beaks and wings of her prey on our front step. Now the pidgeons eat her leftover food. And provide entertainment for our two house cats (Rocky and Lizzie Lou) as they watch, yearningly, though our front screen door.

We are feeding the birds about £5 of bird food a week at the moment,and this morning there was the male blackbird feeding 4 baby's ,if he has no food on the table he shouts at us,he calls the young birds in and then he just pecks at the food and then the baby's get fed

I sometimes do feed them. I do get them some grains to keep them around. I like how birds play outside my house. There are different types that usually come to my garden. Other birds are attracted to fruits their. I have guava and strawberry trees in the garden.

Ever since I read this thread, I've been paying more attention to the birds. I feed them some cookies that did not go down well some weeks back. Before the thread the bird were sometimes considered thieves who would wait around to dig in on my dog food. They have been times when I have left dog chow in the patio after the dogs were brought inside and return to empty dog pans. I guess the birds imagined the chow was left for them.

This photo is from the RSPB calendar. It's just such a brilliant picture.

25924516.jpg

That picture is beautiful. My brother is a bird keeper and photographer. I am sure he would love this. I want to set aside some time to feed the birds now we have been talking about it. The only thing is that they will unlikely come to me with the big dog around so I will have to plan the feeding carefully.

Back
Top Bottom