Do you grocery shop on an empty stomach?

I generally don't grocery shop on an empty stomach but even if I do, I stick to my list. Unless of course, I forget the list at home. Seriously, I don't know why but I don't get tempted to buy things on impulse. Now, my roommate is the complete opposite. When he shops, he throws our whole food budget right out of whack and he doesn't have to have an empty stomach!

I try not to, but sometimes it's unavoidable. I think I pick up at least $25 worth of extra groceries when I'm hungry. And it's usually "junk food" - chips, cheetos, breadsticks, ice cream.

Then again there are times I do the same thing, but I'm not even hungry - I just see the stuff and I get this insane craving for it. People that organize food/groceries in stores sure know what they're doing.

I never shop on an empty stomach. I learned my mistake after shopping on an empty stomach a few times in college. Never again! I spent so much money on processed snack foods and not on healthy foods that would last me all week.

I wish I could say that I don't, but sometimes I do end up shopping on an empty stomach. Luckily, the places that I shop at have a great prepared food section with salads, healthier sandwiches and prepared meals. I usually grab something I can eat on the car or before going home.

I don't think this is a very good idea, haha! I surely don't. I already battle with going in the grocery store with a set list, and coming out with twice as much from that list. This is a bad habit that will make you spend much more on junk or foods that you really do not need. Bad idea.

True! I hate going to the groceries on an empty stomach because I tend to buy what I want to eat as of the moment. If i'm hungry at the grocery store, I always find myself buying snack at the food stalls outside, which is usually unhealthy. As much as possible, I write down a list before leaving the house so I get everything I need and stick within my budget.

Honestly, before today I never correlated eating with shopping, but now that you have mentioned, I am going to find it difficult to get it out of my mind. :)

I am usually pretty good at regulating my purchases. I have to cart everything home by hand or in my backpack if I am cycling. This limits the weight and volume of what I can buy. This also limits my ability to buy on impulse. Junk food is something that becomes more of a danger if I fail to have proper food in the house and I run to the closest place to grab something rather than a proper grocery store.

I have also heard that we tend to crave less healthy food when we are tired. I wonder if there would also be a link between sleep and grocery shopping?

I never go to the grocery store on an empty stomach. I want to buy everything! It is actually cheaper for me to stop and buy a meal at a restaurant on my way to the store, than it is to shop on an empty stomach.

I try to avoid it as much as possible! I have discovered that when one goes to a shop on an empty stomach one ends up buying all sorts of crap like the picture above lol, my girlfriend and I have a motto: Never go to the shop when you are hungry and that is exactly the reason.

Shopping for groceries with an empty stomach does in fact influence food choices. I tried it before and I ended up buying fattening and unhealthy foods. Now, I used to have a grocery shopping list for convenience, it will not consume much time thinking what else to buy.

I tend to eat a little before going. I don't want to get too full as I usually get put off buying some things in that state, and a week later I'm kicking myself for not having bought it. On the other hand, going in too hungry tends to make me overspend, so I try not to do that as well. I think it might be best just to make a list and adhere to it, honestly, but I'm not that organized. :)

I know it can be disastrous to go shopping on an empty stomach. I always end up buying way to much and spending way over the limit that I set myself. Worst of all, afterwards I would go up to the food court of my mall and have an overpriced meal as well, because I got even more hungry from seeing all those yummy things at the supermarket. Shopping like this is a very bad idea.

Back
Top Bottom