Votes: 13 48.1%
  • No - why would I want one?

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • I'm considering it.

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • I'm not sure what they do.

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters
I have honestly never cooked chicken sous vide. Whole breasts would probably benefit, as they are most prone to drying out.

CD

I'm going to be giving this a try this weekend on fried chicken. Usually I do a deep fry then oven finish, which works consistently and yields nice juicy chicken, but an occasional side-effect is 'bleed' (not sure what else to call it) where blood will leak out near the bone and then get cooked brown in the oven. It's not the most attractive thing, so going to try this other way.

Sous vide ‘KFC’

Thighs and drums, 2 hours at 68C:

5015EAF3-6E56-4557-95A2-6E981AB2C6B4.jpeg

4ADFB3E7-EA96-4707-91A0-F59E0D61CF9A.jpeg

Into the breading which is 2 cups plain flour and 4 tbsp of Marion Kay 99-x

32A94707-6E3C-49B9-ACA4-66FC4A181A87.jpeg

Deep fry 6 min at 180C

778E8AD5-2F45-46F7-B58D-103757C7BB12.jpeg

Success!

BB3EC21D-0B8B-48FB-898E-9DC88CEB2FEB.jpeg

I like this method because you can offload a lot of cooking time into the sous vide stage so if you have multiple batches (which can normally take >15 mins to deep fry) you won’t spend as much time over a hot stove. Also very consistent internal doneness. I’ll be doing it this way from now on.

4 tbsp of Marion Kay 99-x

What is that?

I like this method because you can offload a lot of cooking time into the sous vide stage so if you have multiple batches (which can normally take >15 mins to deep fry) you won’t spend as much time over a hot stove. Also very consistent internal doneness. I’ll be doing it this way from now on.

Very interesting. I'd never thought of doing chicken this way. Is the texture or taste much different from straightforward deep fried chicken?

What is that?
Very interesting. I'd never thought of doing chicken this way. Is the texture or taste much different from straightforward deep fried chicken?

Marion Kay 99-x is Colonel Sanders’ original recipe which he asked the MK spice company to manufacture to his original specs after KFC changed his recipe.

I posted this on another thread but here’s its history:

It is well attested that Harland Sanders asked Bill Summers of Marion-Kay Spices in Brownstown, Indiana, US to recreate his secret blend of 11 herbs and spices.[20] Sanders recommended the Marion-Kay seasoning to franchisees over the corporate version, as he believed the latter had been made inferior by the corporation's inattention.[20] In 1982, after Sanders' death, KFC brought a lawsuit against Marion-Kay and the latter was barred from selling its mixture to KFC franchises.[20] The Marion-Kay seasoning is still sold under the name "99-X," and according to Sanders biographer Josh Ozersky, it is indistinguishable from the original KFC recipe.

14A2B7D8-A940-4352-96F2-A416F31B10AE.jpeg

Texture and taste is same as normal fried chicken.

Sous vide ‘KFC’

Thighs and drums, 2 hours at 68C:

View attachment 84905

View attachment 84906

Into the breading which is 2 cups plain flour and 4 tbsp of Marion Kay 99-x

View attachment 84907

Deep fry 6 min at 180C

View attachment 84908

Success!

View attachment 84909

I thought making fried chicken without the skin was against the law. :D

Having bought a kilo of pork ribs, short length, on Saturday I checked the cooking time for sous vide. 4 - 12 hours! I'll go back to roasting them in the oven.

Although I do not want the meat to "fall off the bone" so it's likely to be the 4 hour process. I prefer to eat my ribs Neanderthal style.

Ditto. Once I made fried chicken my sous vide, I've never made it any other way. It's perfect every time. ❤️
🍻

I have one, but the stupid phone won't accept the code. Have to wait until I can get a better smart phone, Which I'm gonna get for my birthday!! :whistling:

Last edited:
Previously, I've been vacuum packing sausages in threes (24 to 1 kg size) and then cooking them sous vide and freezing the majority.

However, I read earlier in the week that you should change the packing prior to freezing. We bought pork and leek and pork and apple sausages on Friday (10 to 1 kg size) so I packed them in two zip lock bags for sous vide. When complete I drained off any fat then dried them and vacuum packed them individually for freezing. I kept one back and shallow fried it and it was very good.

Edit: Pork and apple and pork and leek bought earlier...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom