Votes: 13 48.1%
  • No - why would I want one?

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • I'm considering it.

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • I'm not sure what they do.

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters
Cooked a cut of pork loin with mine today and it was the best pork that I've tasted for many a year. Weight c. 200 gms cooked at 60°C for 2 hours then peppered and subjected to the blowlamp for around 30 seconds per side. Left to stand for a few minutes.

Tasty and juicy.

The steak that I cooked sous vide on Friday last was hardly noticeably different than my normal fry and blowlamp method but that pork loin was decidedly tastier and juicier. I'll keep the machine if only to cook pork.

I need to trial with chicken next. My first trial may be spicy baked chicken.

The steak that I cooked sous vide on Friday last was hardly noticeably different than my normal fry and blowlamp method but that pork loin was decidedly tastier and juicier. I'll keep the machine if only to cook pork.

Sous vide really does do a good job with lean cuts of pork, like the loin.

I love it with beef steaks, too. Now, what I am used to as a ribeye steak does not look like what I see from ribeye steak in other countries, especially the UK. The ribeyes I buy have more intramuscular fat (marbling). Sous vide really renders that fat, and makes it "buttery" within the beef.

CD

I tried it today.

The raw chicken had been in the freezer for a couple of weeks in the marinade. I discarded most of the marinade and vacuum packed the chicken yesterday. Today I cooked it sous vide for 2 hours at 60°C. Then I applied the blowlamp to sear the surface. I expected the result to be more juicy than my normal "barbecue" method of preparing this chicken, but if it was, I didn't notice. Perhaps the chicken pieces were too small? I'll try whole breasts next time probably.

My wife brought home a very large lump of pork loin yesterday from the Afternoon Market. I cut it into five steaks and vacuum packed them. Four are in the freezer; one is in the fridge.

Last edited:
I tried it today.

The raw chicken had been in the freezer for a couple of weeks in the marinade. I discarded the most of the marinade and vacuum packed the chicken yesterday. Today I cooked it sous vide for 2 hours at 60°C. Then I applied the blowlamp to sear the surface. I expected the result to be more juicy than my normal "barbecue" method of preparing this chicken, but if it was, I didn't notice. Perhaps the chicken pieces were too small? I'll try whole breasts next time probably.

My wife brought home a very large lump of pork loin yesterday from the Afternoon Market. I cut it into five steaks and vacuum packed them. Four are in the freezer; one is in the fridge.

I think sous vide works better with cuts of meat that could get tough or dry if cooked by other means. Marinated chicken cooked by a barbecue method should be juicy enough unless overcooked, so its probably not going to get very much better using a sous vide. Not that I'm an expert!

I lose track of time. A year, maybe 18 months ago, George decided we NEEDED an Instant Pot. Now we have an Instant Pot with a Sous Vide setting. We had a slow cooker. I gave it to our Grandson. No need to double dip. I have used the slow cook function a couple of times. I have used the pressure cook function a few times. I love to braise. I find pressure cooking does not give the same depth of flavor.
About Sous Vide. I have used it twice. Both times I cooked wild pig. OMG!! Absolutely incredible!. I want to Sous Vide a pork loin. I agrre with CD that the precision would result in a very moist, tender loin. I am always hit or miss on pork loin. It has so little fat that dry meat happens too often.
I have eaten Rib Eye that Baby Brother has cooked Sous Vide ans seared. Perfection!
I do not like STUFF on my counter. I have enough. My Instant Pot lives in the bottom cabinet. I forget it is there. I forget to take protein out of the freezer to defrost for dinner.
Sorry. I am a little frazzled.
Soooo..... I am still on the fence when it comes to Sous Vide. I have to make a decision and plan to use it more frequently.

I tried it today.

The raw chicken had been in the freezer for a couple of weeks in the marinade. I discarded the most of the marinade and vacuum packed the chicken yesterday. Today I cooked it sous vide for 2 hours at 60°C. Then I applied the blowlamp to sear the surface. I expected the result to be more juicy than my normal "barbecue" method of preparing this chicken, but if it was, I didn't notice. Perhaps the chicken pieces were too small? I'll try whole breasts next time probably.

You can also sous vide then freeze. Just a small economy; say you plan to SV the one in the fridge, you may as well do the whole lot then freeze the other four. Then, when you get peckish for some pork loin, you can take one out to thaw then whack it straight in your pan for a sear or take your blowlamp to it.

I think sous vide works better with cuts of meat that could get tough or dry if cooked by other means. Marinated chicken cooked by a barbecue method should be juicy enough unless overcooked, so its probably not going to get very much better using a sous vide. Not that I'm an expert!

I have honestly never cooked chicken sous vide. Whole breasts would probably benefit, as they are most prone to drying out.

CD

You can also sous vide then freeze. Just a small economy; say you plan to SV the one in the fridge, you may as well do the whole lot then freeze the other four. Then, when you get peckish for some pork loin, you can take one out to thaw then whack it straight in your pan for a sear or take your blowlamp to it.

I have heard that before (maybe on here) and I may do that with the remaining four after I've done a trial on the the one that I'm cooking today.

Back
Top Bottom