Votes: 13 48.1%
  • No - why would I want one?

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • I'm considering it.

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • I'm not sure what they do.

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters
More of a fashion statement imo and it's certainly not needed but it's always good it take it out for a demo drive and see how it handles. I've been around sous vide for quite a while and like it for vegetables. Bacon and sausage works well too.
Bacon? Comes out nice and crisp, eh? I generally just bake my bacon, do you think sous vide is better? I can't give that as a valid reason to go out and buy one just for the bacon, of course.

I think what always fascinated me about them was the steak cooking, how it always comes out perfect in the middle and then can be quick-seared or torched for crust, yum. But we eat steaks about once every other month these days, so...

Bacon? Comes out nice and crisp, eh? I generally just bake my bacon, do you think sous vide is better? I can't give that as a valid reason to go out and buy one just for the bacon, of course.

I think what always fascinated me about them was the steak cooking, how it always comes out perfect in the middle and then can be quick-seared or torched for crust, yum. But we eat steaks about once every other month these days, so...
Yep bacon. The bacon is cooked then all is needed is a nice caramelization while still retaining moisture. If you like bacon cooked until it resembles remnants of a nuclear site, then don't bother. Cheers. Steaks and other red meat and poultry I would never sous vide, don't like the results that most desire, go figure.

Yep bacon. The bacon is cooked then all is needed is a nice caramelization while still retaining moisture. If you like bacon cooked until it resembles remnants of a nuclear site, then don't bother. Cheers. Steaks and other red meat and poultry I would never sous vide, don't like the results that most desire, go figure.
Having never done it, I can't say whether I would like it (particularly steaks) or not. Apparently you have tried it. I don't know what you mean about bacon resembling remnants of a nuclear site? Do you mean overcooked and exploded? My bacon (baked) is uniformly cooked and has very little grease, which is optimal for the way I generally use it (topping for salads, baked macaroni and cheese, atop burgers). I generally pull a few pieces off the broiling tray while they are still a bit fatty to keep for other uses and the very crispy strips are what I crumble atop salads.

Having never done it, I can't say whether I would like it (particularly steaks) or not. Apparently you have tried it. I don't know what you mean about bacon resembling remnants of a nuclear site? Do you mean overcooked and exploded? My bacon (baked) is uniformly cooked and has very little grease, which is optimal for the way I generally use it (topping for salads, baked macaroni and cheese, atop burgers). I generally pull a few pieces off the broiling tray while they are still a bit fatty to keep for other uses and the very crispy strips are what I crumble atop salads.
Yeah, I've had bacon that is basically a crisp. Personally I like bacon that is still moist and somewhat unctuous. When you sous vide bacon it's basically edible without much shrinkage or fat loss, in other words the fat is intact still and when cooked further it's very moist and without the elasticity found in some bacon cooked conventionally. I make my own bacon to control for quality and flavor as well. I enjoy eating fat so that might influence me when it comes to the preference to sous vide bacon, others may not, and I suspect most don't.

EDIT: If I cook bacon conventionally I always line a baking sheet with parchment and bake, like yourself.

I’m not crazy about steak in it either. Especially rib eye. One thing I did like was a big slice of inside round I brought from work. Just as an experiment. I let it sit in there 24 hours then gave it a quick sear. I was pleasantly surprised. I’ll do that again some time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m not crazy about steak in it either. Especially rib eye. One thing I did like was a big slice of inside round I brought from work. Just as an experiment. I let it sit in there 24 hours then gave it a quick sear. I was pleasantlyView attachment 84234

surprised. I’ll do that again some time.
Sous vide meat is good for tougher cuts with long/er cooking especially when there's lots of fat attached like ribs and pork belly but prime cuts no way they compare to conventional cooking methods, in my opinion of course.

Yeah, I've had bacon that is basically a crisp. Personally I like bacon that is still moist and somewhat unctuous. When you sous vide bacon it's basically edible without much shrinkage or fat loss, in other words the fat is intact still and when cooked further it's very moist and without the elasticity found in some bacon cooked conventionally. I make my own bacon to control for quality and flavor as well. I enjoy eating fat so that might influence me when it comes to the preference to sous vide bacon, others may not, and I suspect most don't.

EDIT: If I cook bacon conventionally I always line a baking sheet with parchment and bake, like yourself.
I generally use a broiling pan, you know, the top part has slits across it and the bottom catches the grease.
1650910277733.png

It works really well. I don't mind a little fat, I love butter, cream, and cheese. I like crispy fat on meat, but not a fan of thick, globulous fat with no sear. Ugh.

I’m not crazy about steak in it either. Especially rib eye. One thing I did like was a big slice of inside round I brought from work. Just as an experiment. I let it sit in there 24 hours then gave it a quick sear. I was pleasantlyView attachment 84234

surprised. I’ll do that again some time.
Looks outstanding, was it nice and tender?

Looks outstanding, was it nice and tender?
Considering how tough it can be it was nice.
Almost like a good sirloin steak. Lean but very beefy and juicy.. but, you know, it might have been the most enjoyable meal I ever made with my machine because it was better than I thought it would be.

Never was a fan of French cookery, and far less the Troisgrois brothers.

That's a rather sweeping statement! So many techniques have roots in French cookery. To be honest, I used to love French food but that was long ago when I hadn't experienced other cuisines. Now, I like it well enough although I find it rather bland. Its not my favourite cuisine. But sous-vide is a technique, rather than a 'a cuisine' and is applicable to lots of different international cuisines.

Sometimes the wife wants to go camping - I did have a hankering to store steaks in a cooler in zip lock bags in like 135 degree water on the way there, then finish them over a live fire.

Sometimes the wife wants to go camping - I did have a hankering to store steaks in a cooler in zip lock bags in like 135 degree water on the way there, then finish them over a live fire.

It's been done. You need a good cooler to hold the temperature steady. There are probably YouTube videos of it being done.

CD

Back
Top Bottom