Votes: 13 48.1%
  • No - why would I want one?

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • I'm considering it.

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • I'm not sure what they do.

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters
PS, right now I'm working on making year old home grown roosters taste tender via sous vide. I'm not there yet - and Google hasn't given me a good solution - but I've run an experiment and we shall see what a next tweaking experiment yields. (Yes, the fellow who went nastily after his hens and after me ended up sous vide.) I just don't have another rooster of the same personality to send to the freezer/sous vide yet.) I have made some plans based on the first experiment, all duly noted, so far.

Down the road I plan to do a pork roast, and/or a lamb roast. Some veggies also do well in sous vide, although since they usually require higher temps, I'd go with those more-inert silicon bags over plastic.

Sous vide is perfect for pork tenderloin. You can get away with a little pink in the pork, and be completely pasteurized.

CD

I missed this thread.

Baby Brother has a Sous Vide - it clamps to the side of the water bath container that he made from a small ice chest. He cut a slot out of the side to clamp the heating element to.

I don't know how often he uses it. He does rave about it.

G's Christmas gift to himself was a professional grade vacuum sealer. It is so heavy (85 lbs) that he also had to buy a heavy duty wheeled cart. It lives in his shop when we are not using it. The point is that the bags are suitable for Sous Vide.

I am on the fence regarding actually owning a sous vide.

medtran49 - We both love rack of lamb. I am interested in you method. My thought is that rack of lamb is so quick and easy - why spend the extra time slow cooking in a water bath? Like you I do not care for mint. I use an herb or an herb and mustard rub. Usually rosemary and thyme. Sometimes sage and thyme. A red wine reduction sauce.

This is American lamb so the rack is bigger, definitely not the 2-4 bite lamb chop size. We bought 2 of them when they were on sale and I divided them into portions for 3 or 4 meals, don't remember which. Anyway, Craig cooked 1 of them on the grill and got it too done, so I want to try the sous vide method since it's supposed to be so precise.

Mint jelly - I grew up with a lamb-loving mom who hated mint jelly - while I don't mind it, lamb is just wonderfully fine without it. It is something I never think about using at home.

I do season with garlic and rosemary while cooking (often, but not necessarily every time.)

I make about 5 litres or more every year. I almost drink it. Mint sauce that is.

Russ

I'm not familiar with mint jelly - I wondered if it was just a different name for mint sauce, but I just googled it and it looks like its a (sweet?) jelly made with mint. I'm not a huge fan of sweet sauces with meat so I'm not sure if its something I'd go for.

With lamb we tend to have mint sauce which is made with chopped mint steeped in a little hot water. Once the water has gone cold you add an equal quantity of vinegar and then a touch of sugar to taste. Its a runny sauce that should taste very minty but sharp rather than sweet. I think it complements fattier cuts of lamb very well.

I'm not familiar with mint jelly - I wondered if it was just a different name for mint sauce, but I just googled it and it looks like its a (sweet?) jelly made with mint. I'm not a huge fan of sweet sauces with meat so I'm not sure if its something I'd go for.

With lamb we tend to have mint sauce which is made with chopped mint steeped in a little hot water. Once the water has gone cold you add an equal quantity of vinegar and then a touch of sugar to taste. Its a runny sauce that should taste very minty but sharp rather than sweet. I think it complements fattier cuts of lamb very well.

I think I'd like to try a mint sauce. Next time I have lamb and can find fresh mint! (I have a little leftover mint in the fridge right now, maybe i should see what cuts of lamb are still in the freezer and thaw one before that mint goes bad!)

Like many here, I'm not crazy about sweets with my meats (or other mains, TBH).

Yes, it's sweet, and it's gelled, like grape jelly.
Not surprised that you're not a fan - a sweet mint-flavoured gel with meat sounds a bit odd 🤢

I think I'd like to try a mint sauce. Next time I have lamb and can find fresh mint! (I have a little leftover mint in the fridge right now, maybe i should see what cuts of lamb are still in the freezer and thaw one before that mint goes bad!)
I think mint sauce would be a great way to use up leftover mint - because its chopped up and steeped it doesn't matter if the leaves are less than perfect. It also keeps for ages in the fridge, in fact most people in the UK buy it in jars and either use it straight from the jar, or dilute with a little vinegar and sugar. A jar can last a very long time if you dilute it.

I think mint sauce would be a great way to use up leftover mint - because its chopped up and steeped it doesn't matter if the leaves are less than perfect. It also keeps for ages in the fridge, in fact most people in the UK buy it in jars and either use it straight from the jar, or dilute with a little vinegar and sugar. A jar can last a very long time if you dilute it.

Okay... even if I don't have lamb today I'll go make up this sauce! There should be enough leftover mint here for a nice batch. Thanks!

Some excellent info and comments here ... I'm going to try chicken breast again at the weekend. I'm not a lover of it I prefer thigh but my wife likes some in the fridge for lunch during the week, I normally brine the breasts over night, season and lightly 'oil' and roast = the results are OK ... I'm hoping SV will be 'moister' so that I can try some as well.

Some excellent info and comments here ... I'm going to try chicken breast again at the weekend. I'm not a lover of it I prefer thigh but my wife likes some in the fridge for lunch during the week, I normally brine the breasts over night, season and lightly 'oil' and roast = the results are OK ... I'm hoping SV will be 'moister' so that I can try some as well.

Chicken breast would certainly benefit from a good over-night brine. Keep the sous vide temp at or below 65C for an hour, and you should have a good juicy piece of meat. You can go as low as 60C, but you need to let it cook for a good two hours, or more, to be safe.

BTW, thigh meat is definitely better. More flavor.

CD

Back
Top Bottom