Votes: 13 48.1%
  • No - why would I want one?

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • I'm considering it.

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • I'm not sure what they do.

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters
I used the sous vide to confit some duck legs yesterday. Put a cure on them overnight of salt, pepper, thyme. Then put about 1/2 cup duck fat, a smashed garlic clove, a few peppercorns and some fresh thyme in the vacuum bag with the legs and sealed it. Cooked at 170 F for 12 hours. Haven't opened the bag yet because I don't want to break the seal as it will keep for 2 weeks sealed. Cassoulet next week!

Found an interesting looking recipe for sous vide'd pork belly think I am going to try, also a beef roast from part of the knuckles Craig got.

I think I am going to like using this. Can't wait to try a steak.

I used the sous vide to confit some duck legs yesterday. Put a cure on them overnight of salt, pepper, thyme. Then put about 1/2 cup duck fat, a smashed garlic clove, a few peppercorns and some fresh thyme in the vacuum bag with the legs and sealed it. Cooked at 170 F for 12 hours. Haven't opened the bag yet because I don't want to break the seal as it will keep for 2 weeks sealed. Cassoulet next week!

Found an interesting looking recipe for sous vide'd pork belly think I am going to try, also a beef roast from part of the knuckles Craig got.

I think I am going to like using this. Can't wait to try a steak.

I'm doing belly as well in next week.

Russ

OK, I voted "No, why would want one?".

However, after slicing my defrosted fillet of beef, I've reconsidered and am prepared to give it a try. The prices I've found vary substantially between makes/models (฿900.00 - ฿15,000.00 (US$30.00 - USD500.00)) so I've decided to be frugal but not a cheap Charlie and gone for a "SmartCare" one at ฿50.00. It should be here in a couple of days.

There are a number of "sous vide containers" advertised - I'm assuming that they're nothing special and any heat proof bowl will suffice.

Last edited:
I didn't answer. I understand how they work and why they might are attractive to get, but for whatever reason I'm totally uninterested in cooking that way. I'm more all gas, no brakes.

I didn't answer. I understand how they work and why they might are attractive to get, but for whatever reason I'm totally uninterested in cooking that way. I'm more all gas, no brakes.
More of a fashion statement imo and it's certainly not needed but it's always good it take it out for a demo drive and see how it handles. I've been around sous vide for quite a while and like it for vegetables. Bacon and sausage works well too.

Gf bought me one a few years ago..I rarely use it, but it is fun when I do..I should get it out again, soon

Curious that this thread popped up again. I voted no, and to be honest, I just don´t think I want to try something I consider a bit "trendy", just so I can use it once or twice a year.
Doesn´t "sous vide" translate as "low life"? :D

Curious that this thread popped up again. I voted no, and to be honest, I just don´t think I want to try something I consider a bit "trendy", just so I can use it once or twice a year.
Doesn´t "sous vide" translate as "low life"? :D

Not sure its particularly 'trendy'. Sous vide cooking food with vacuum sealing dates back to the 70's, but long before that, the principle was used. The big advantage is that it really concentrates flavour. Its also pretty foolproof.

The cost and convenience has made them trendy but sous vide been used by chefs for decades. Personally I have no real use for them but have to admit sausages done sous vide is next level lol. Cheers
I’ve never done sausage. What temp and for how long? Then, a quick sear?

I’ve never done sausage. What temp and for how long? Then, a quick sear?
Generally around 65c and however long it takes to cook the size and amount that you may have in a bag. Generally two and a half to three hours for Italian size and 8 to a bag but of course multiple bags can be done at the same time. Basically the sausages have retained almost all of it's fat and searing to bring up to temp and get some nice color leaves you with quite the moist and flavorful sausages. Flavor also escapes with the fat when cooked conventionally, especially considering most people tend to cook sausages too long. 65c is based on the temp I prefer for sausages which converted is 150 F. and you can adjust that temp to your preferences.

Generally around 65c and however long it takes to cook the size and amount that you may have in a bag. Generally two and a half to three hours for Italian size and 8 to a bag but of course multiple bags can be done at the same time. Basically the sausages have retained almost all of it's fat and searing to bring up to temp and get some nice color leaves you with quite the moist and flavorful sausages. Flavor also escapes with the fat when cooked conventionally, especially considering most people tend to cook sausages too long. 65c is based on the temp I prefer for sausages which converted is 150 F. and you can adjust that temp to your preferences.
I usually cook sausage to 150. But try and get fat out if it. I’ll give this a go soon. Maybe sear
on the grill.

Back
Top Bottom