Votes: 13 48.1%
  • No - why would I want one?

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • I'm considering it.

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • I'm not sure what they do.

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters
You may want to also look at a Searsall. It is an attachment for a propane torch that is great for putting a sear on sous vide foods. It spreads the flame wider, but the best part is that the screens in the Searsall work as a catalyst to finish burning any unburned hydro-carbons from the torch, eliminating the "propane" flavor that can come from a regular torch. You have the added benefit of being able to sear meats wihout filling the house with smoke, as happens with pan searing. I have one, and love it.

I have a culinary blow torch that I use - I didn't realise it could transfer propane flavour. Well, I hadn't noticed that.

I have a culinary blow torch that I use - I didn't realise it could transfer propane flavour. Well, I hadn't noticed that.

Kitchen torches are usually butane, which burns cleaner. Butane also burns a a lower temperature. A Searsall uses a propane torch that a plumber would use to solder pipes. More heat, but not as clean.

CD

Hi chaps, very new to Sous Vide, my 'wand' arrived a couple of days ago, very happy with the device (I also have a vacuum sealer) but, (isn't there always a 'but') - I cooked some eggs and they were OK not 'sublime' as I'd been lead to believe and I'll probably stick to poaching in a pan, then chicken breast ... I was a little more enthusiastic but no real difference in either texture, 'mouth feel' or taste compared to my normal roasting method so I then tried steak, in this instance I did only use 'sandwich steak' (thin, maybe 7mm) so I don't think this was a fair test. So to get to the point; my wife is quite cynical about my kitchen equipment expenditure and, of course, is looking sideways at me so can anyone suggest a sure-fire way of impressing her with the perfect example of the benefits of Sous Vide please ? (I know it's a big ask).

So to get to the point; my wife is quite cynical about my kitchen equipment expenditure and, of course, is looking sideways at me so can anyone suggest a sure-fire way of impressing her with the perfect example of the benefits of Sous Vide please ? (I know it's a big ask).

How long did you cook the chicken for and at what temperature?

I'm no expert and don't use my sous-vide nearly enough but the few times I've used it have been for meat and one of the advantages is that you can add herbs or spices into the bag so the flavour gets sealed in. I cooked a pork loin with lots of sage which worked out well.

Also to quote from Planethoff
On the veg side, Sous vide carrots are quite the experience. The carrot flavor and texture comes out in a way that can not be experienced by any other method and it is far superior.

And epicuric
It really comes into its own when cooking tougher cuts of meat, brisket, cheeks, shoulders, belly etc. Cooking low and slow - often as low as 56.5 deg C for several days will turn a cheap cut into a feast, breaking down connective tissues and fats in a way that couldn't be achieved in a normal oven,

Last edited:
Thanks again MG ... is this thread the correct place to add further questions ?

I bought some skinless pork belly slices, I'm thinking that they will be perfect for the SV method, surfing for recipes (one of my favourite things on the iPad in front of the TV) I can find loads of recipes most at 60c but they range from 3 to 24 hours, my confusion continues ... anyone with SV experience have any advice please ?

I'm very happy to experiment myself but some guidance could save some money and wastage ...

Thanks again MG ... is this thread the correct place to add further questions ?

I bought some skinless pork belly slices, I'm thinking that they will be perfect for the SV method, surfing for recipes (one of my favourite things on the iPad in front of the TV) I can find loads of recipes most at 60c but they range from 3 to 24 hours, my confusion continues ... anyone with SV experience have any advice please ?

I'm very happy to experiment myself but some guidance could save some money and wastage ...

One thing I've yet to do is pork belly sous vide. For slices, though, I'd think 24 hours would be overkill and would make the meat a bit mushy. I recently made bottom round beef steaks sous vide for 24 and 42 hours - that stuff is indeed tough, so I doubt pork belly slices should go that long. Especially at 60 C. I did do bacon (with the chicken breast I was trying to make moist). Bacon of course is pork belly that's been salted and such.

So... maybe, looking back on that AND extrapolating, cook at 60 C for 5 hours, and it will depend what you plan to do with the belly once cooked when that's done? It won't be crispy if that's what you are looking for, unless you reverse sear. But all depends on the cuisine you are after.

Not looking for crispiness MC I'm guessing that I can sort that out in the fry pan after the SV ... your suggestion of 5 hours seems like a good idea thank you... there's so much to learn with sous vide but I'm convinced it's going to be worth it, after all I've spent nearly £100 on the kit ! Good of you to take the time.

Back
Top Bottom