Do You Keep Anything In Your Fridge Or Freezer Others Might Find Odd?

Oh boy, will she be home soon? Better get hoppin. lol (DH didn't see anything wrong with your freezer. That's why I organize ours every 3 months lol)

You are one brave man. If you were my husband and posted this, I would shoot you. lol
You definitely don't want to see mine. I just open it (it's a bottom drawer freezer) and chuck stuff in there.

Really, my freezer should be called "Pre-Trash Cold Bin," because I throw things in there with the best intention of using them, then I either forget about them, or the shine wears off and I don't want them any more.

Every so often, I go through and just throw 80% of what's in there away, then fill it up again.

Oh what is it with you men? lol It must be nice to be filthy stinkin' rich. lol

I keep a written record of what goes in and what comes out of the freezer. We sometimes forget to do both. That is why everything has to come out of the freezer to be inventoried again (about every 3 months) to keep the record up to date.

Oh what is it with you men? lol It must be nice to be filthy stinkin' rich. lol
We're not, though we probably would be if I didn't throw everything out of the freezer on a regular basis. :laugh:

That said...I was in Kroger today and they had pork loin roasts at 2-for-1, and all the roasts were between three and four pounds in weight, so somewhere in the $13 range. I bought one and got the second one free.

I just spent the last 30 minutes cutting one roast in half and the other roast into chops, the. wrapped, bagged, and in the freezer.

I'm going to call it now that by the end of the year, I'll have made one half roast and one pair (out of six pairs) of chops, and when January rolls around and I do my new year freezer sweep, I'll look at those and say, "Ugh, I bought these back in August. I don't want these now!" and in the trash they'll go.

I guess I will just have to post a lot of real good sounding pork recipe on here to tempt you to cook all that pork before Jan. lol

I swear this is the truth. I have been sitting here sorting recipes that I have cut out of cooking mag. this past week. Just a few minutes before I posted the above to you, filed away a recipe for "Pork Chops Adobo with Garlic Rice". I might put it aside and ask DH to make it soon.

Last edited:
As far as pork goes, I'm getting half a pig in a couple of weeks, from a local farm share.

So 1) I will have a half a pig head in a freezer soon. 2) I'll be hunting down pork recipes. 3) it will be arriving the month I'm going to be effectively vegetarian, so I'll just have to wait a bit.

Fortunately, I have three freezers - one is in the fridge like most folk, another is an upright in the pantry, and the third is a chest freezer in the basement.

I make an Excel spreadsheet to track food from farmshares. Unfortunately, I don't always remember to subtract items when they get used. I'm thinking I should just start over from the beginning - maybe with the pantry upright, since it has the least amount of stuff in it currently, track everything in there prior to picking up my pork, most of which will end up in there.

I hate looking for something, we have 2 X 12 cu ft freezers in the garage, a fridge freezer in the garage and a fridge freezer in the kitchen. I try to put things separate but it's just a mess. It's really an aerchological dig going in my freezers.

Russ

As far as pork goes, I'm getting half a pig in a couple of weeks, from a local farm share.

So 1) I will have a half a pig head in a freezer soon. 2) I'll be hunting down pork recipes. 3) it will be arriving the month I'm going to be effectively vegetarian, so I'll just have to wait a bit.

Fortunately, I have three freezers - one is in the fridge like most folk, another is an upright in the pantry, and the third is a chest freezer in the basement.

I make an Excel spreadsheet to track food from farmshares. Unfortunately, I don't always remember to subtract items when they get used. I'm thinking I should just start over from the beginning - maybe with the pantry upright, since it has the least amount of stuff in it currently, track everything in there prior to picking up my pork, most of which will end up in there.
Oh no!!!!! Pig Head Soup for the game? lol I have 4 LARGE binders full of pork recipes. Just let me know when to start typing. lol

Oh no!!!!! Pig Head Soup for the game? lol I have 4 LARGE binders full of pork recipes. Just let me know when to start typing. lol

Well... October???

PS, I just ate dinner, and in the interim, inventoried the pantry freezer.

I'm going to call it now that by the end of the year, I'll have made one half roast and one pair (out of six pairs) of chops, and when January rolls around and I do my new year freezer sweep, I'll look at those and say, "Ugh, I bought these back in August. I don't want these now!" and in the trash they'll go.

If things are in a GOOD freezer, and wrapped properly, they will last longer than from August to January.

There's no way I will eat half a pig, even with company, between now and January. AND there's no way I'm going to toss perfectly good food.

We have the bottom fridge freezer and 2 21 cubic ft. upright freezers in G's shop. We have an on going battle over what is in the uprights. G goes to the store and buys large cuts of meat - roast, whole rib racks, large packages of chicken without telling me. He stuffs them in the freezer without dividing into smaller servings and does not label or date. :hyper: Makes me crazy. Step Son gives him venison sausage that is over seasoned to the point of being inedible. It sits in the freezer for years. Fish over a year old. I try to get G to donate to the local homeless diner. They prepare 3 meals a day 364 days a year and will gladly take any food donations. You would think G was afraid of starving to death.
Sorry. An issue I struggle with.

I'd give any meat being frozen 12 months. Possibly more??

Russ

Yes, meat can remain frozen for 12 months or more. Just make sure it's vacuum packed (which is how this arrives) to prevent freezer burn.
Seafood is less forgiving, and will depend on the type of seafood.

Elizabeth: Yeah, I date everything. Month and year.

Back
Top Bottom