Do you know the difference between a Mandoline and a Mandolin?

Gene Gibly

Guru
Local time
7:06 AM
I didn't until this afternoon when I read a thread in a different cooking forum.

If you'd have asked me I'd have said an olde world stringed instrument, which would have been partly correct (Mandolin) - but what I didn't know was that there is a French cooking instrument called a Mandoline!! (with the added 'e').

Now, having established that there is a chef's device called a Mandoline - if you'd have asked me to describe what it looks like I would have been equally in the dark.

However, when I saw a picture of a Mandoline I was, like, "I know what that is!!! (but never knew it was called a Mandoline!!!)"

So - do you know what a Mandoline is and looks like? :D

I didn't until this afternoon when I read a thread in a different cooking forum.

If you'd have asked me I'd have said an olde world stringed instrument, which would have been partly correct (Mandolin) - but what I didn't know was that there is a French cooking instrument called a Mandoline!! (with the added 'e').

Now, having established that there is a chef's device called a Mandoline - if you'd have asked me to describe what it looks like I would have been equally in the dark.

However, when I saw a picture of a Mandoline I was, like, "I know what that is!!! (but never knew it was called a Mandoline!!!)"

So - do you know what a Mandoline is and looks like? :D

I know that if you try and play a tremolo on a mandoline, you'll need a visit to A and E... :wink:

Mandoline humor. Well done, sir! Isn't a mandolin a 4 (8?) stringed musical instrument that looks like a cross between a midget guitar and a really fat ukalele? As for a mandoline, I believe that is a "slicer" of sorts, wherein the object being sliced rides back and forth over the blade to give full-width, equal-depth slices? Lots of cheese graters include a slicing blade that approximates a mandoline, often located between the course and fine grating sections. Either that or it is a little french girl that has lots of literary mis-adventures in Paris. The Adventures of Mandoline.

Back
Top Bottom