Do you know your veges?

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
8:21 AM
wife just done some shopping for the weekend, the check out chick asked what a swede (turnip) to some.
She asked what it was, my wife said you have to be kidding right? Nope, had no idea. This is the second time at this shop this has happened. Last time it was parsnips I think? She has no idea what it was. Two different women. I know pretty much all the veges they carry, even some Chinese veges. There was a programme I think, Jamie Oliver?? Where kids didn't know what the veges were. Any of you guys experienced this?? This is an expensive shop we go to, not the cheap ones.

Russ

We were in an Asian (mostly Chinese) market yesterday and I didn't know some of the vegetables they had and of course the signs weren't helpful. It might have to do with some of what was served at home. If you've never seen a vegetable, how would you know what it is? In a regular grocery store, some of the cashiers have no clue about the Latin/Caribbean vegetables and herbs the store carries. I had some of them ring up tomatillos as green tomatoes, even though they have a husk.

We were in an Asian (mostly Chinese) market yesterday and I didn't know some of the vegetables they had and of course the signs weren't helpful. It might have to do with some of what was served at home. If you've never seen a vegetable, how would you know what it is? In a regular grocery store, some of the cashiers have no clue about the Latin/Caribbean vegetables and herbs the store carries. I had some of them ring up tomatillos as green tomatoes, even though they have a husk.

We are pretty much English foods around here, although lots of Indian and Asian are popping up. I don't know anyone that doesn't know what a swede is??

Russ

Well, today at the supermarket the clerk wanted to know what the veggie I had was. This one I don't think so strangely about - it was OKRA. Many people have never had it nor seen it.

However, some years back I was checking out at a supermarket, and the trainee - a guy of around 20-22 years old - turned to the trainer and held my package up in ultimate bewilderment. "What's this???"

I was stunned.

"Asparagus".

I don't think he stuck around very long. I never did see him again at that supermarket!

Nothing surprises me. Less than a month ago, I had a checkout person ask me about a sweet potato and a head of butter lettuce.

Back
Top Bottom