Do you lack iron?

Anna Blush

Veteran
Local time
8:21 PM
I am the type of person who tries to have everything in moderation but have recently noticed that I am more tired. I have been eating a lot more fruit ever since the hot weather started and have not been craving seafood or any kind of heavier food. I later found out that I am lacking iron and my doctor says its because I am not eating leafy greens. I was surprised to see how quickly I became tired within only a few months of not eating greens.

Did you ever experience anything like this? I would love to hear your thoughts on this!

I am the type of person who tries to have everything in moderation but have recently noticed that I am more tired. I have been eating a lot more fruit ever since the hot weather started and have not been craving seafood or any kind of heavier food. I later found out that I am lacking iron and my doctor says its because I am not eating leafy greens. I was surprised to see how quickly I became tired within only a few months of not eating greens.

Did you ever experience anything like this? I would love to hear your thoughts on this!

I have been anaemic in the past. I used to eat liver tablets (not as horrible as they sound) rather than the iron tablets doctors prescribe which make you constipated. Seafood such as oysters, mussels and clams are have high iron content. So if you like that type of seafood, there's your answer! Other good sources are liver, including chicken liver and red meat. This kind of iron is heme iron and is allegedly more readily absorbed. Non-heme iron is found in vegetables. Oddly enough, greens are not the highest in iron. A portion of spinach on average contains about a fifth of the iron content of a portion of beans or tofu, for example. Best sources of non-heme iron are beans and seeds. And apparently, broccoli has a higher iron content than spinach. Non-heme iron is supposed to be harder for the body to absorb.

I've never been diagnosed as being anaemic so I guess my tiredness stems from other things! :laugh:

I try to eat enough meat, and we love leafy greens in stir fries and stuff like that so I think I must be getting my fill. Plus occasionally I will buy things like breakfast cereals that are fortified with extra iron and things like that so I guess they must help!

When I feel tired it is usually as a result of having worked very hard, like doing a lot of household chores in one day or not getting enough sleep. I would not just get tired for no reason. As long as I work in moderation and get adequate sleep, then I am okay. Having said that, I do not think I have an iron deficiency. I usually eat foods that contain a fair amount of iron too.

I haven't, but that's because I am addicted to greens. It is unlikely iron is the only nutrient you are lacking if you don't eat enough greens. Iron you can get from red meat or chicken livers to quickly get you use levels back up to normal. Produce is absolutely key to good health. Without enough, the body just isn't able to function as well.

Given that I have, on occasion, been accused of being overly ironic, I'm happy that I have enough iron(y) content.
Careful you don't rust :giggle: However I note a tiny bit of the old 'liver pill advert' scenario creeping in here. If you haven't heard it it's just the old idea that whatever the advert says it seems to fit somewhere somehow - it always does [quack medicine at it's best]. Unless ill - pregnant or on some totally weird diet then I suspect the chances of deficiency in most things with a reasonable food intake is pretty low.

Careful you don't rust :giggle: However I note a tiny bit of the old 'liver pill advert' scenario creeping in here. If you haven't heard it it's just the old idea that whatever the advert says it seems to fit somewhere somehow - it always does [quack medicine at it's best]. Unless ill - pregnant or on some totally weird diet then I suspect the chances of deficiency in most things with a reasonable food intake is pretty low.

You're probably correct. But heavy periods can cause iron deficiency too. It happened to me.Men tend to suffer iron deficiency far far less than women.

I'm big on quack medicine...

We used to have a housemaid who is always lethargic and somewhat looking pale at times. We didn't know that she is anemic until we brought her to a doctor for a checkup. And I was surprised when she said she knew that she is anemic and just didn't inform us because we might not take her in. Anyway, the doctor prescribed her iron pills that she had to take once a day.

I remembered when I was in my fourth year College we had too many school works because we are graduating students that is why I always had late night sleep and poor appetite and not eating well that is why my blood count went down not to the point that I become anemic. The more it get a little worst when I am reviewing for my board examination. But thanks to God after all my sacrifices in my studies all things came out good. Then after that I decided to be checked by a medical doctor and its good that I just had to take iron supplements as prescribed. Luckily my blood count is back again to normal after I graduated from college. Iron supplements plus healthy diet and right amount of sleep keeps me going again.

I have been keen about my health for a while now. I have never lacked iron since I do eat food products which have iron. I hear that there are iron supplements but I have never tried them out since I do not like supplements. I like eating natural foods which supply me with enough iron.

My partner has the opposite problem. He had too much iron so he has to go every week and have a pint of blood drained off him so he can produce new blood. When he first found out his iron levels were through the roof. They were surprised he was even alive with the levels he had. Since then he has gotten his iron levels into the normal range.

I have been anaemic in the past. I used to eat liver tablets (not as horrible as they sound) rather than the iron tablets doctors prescribe which make you constipated. Seafood such as oysters, mussels and clams are have high iron content. So if you like that type of seafood, there's your answer! Other good sources are liver, including chicken liver and red meat. This kind of iron is heme iron and is allegedly more readily absorbed. Non-heme iron is found in vegetables. Oddly enough, greens are not the highest in iron. A portion of spinach on average contains about a fifth of the iron content of a portion of beans or tofu, for example. Best sources of non-heme iron are beans and seeds. And apparently, broccoli has a higher iron content than spinach. Non-heme iron is supposed to be harder for the body to absorb.

Based on what I am reading here, I probably am lacking in iron. I might be lacking in a lot more things. At least you went to the doctor. Even that I delay on. I should really do better. I'd hate to kick out and have to leave the forum...seriously.

I eat alot of raisins which are full of iron and get enough green leafy vegetables to help with the iron also. I don't eat alot of red meat but I do eat alot of beans. I am outside alot so I know I get enough vitamin D also. The last time I went to the Doctor I was good but I do pay attention to what I feed my body.

Back
Top Bottom