Do You Like Cold Cereal?

I can't remember the last time I had cereal for breakfast. Probably back in college. Now chex mix as a snack maybe 10 years ago. Some cereals make a good coating for frying after being crushed up.

It's hard to see, but there's 1/4 cup of milk in that. I give it a good stir, and by the time I sit down to eat it, what little milk is there has been completely absorbed by the cereal.

They look like Shreddies:

1580135631038.png

When I was a kid, there were three varieties of Chex cereals: Corn Chex, Rice Chex, and Wheat Chex.

Nowadays, they have those, plus Chocolate Chex, Honey Nut Chex, Vanilla Chex, Cinnamon Chex, Blueberry Chex, and Peanut Butter Chex.

Never heard of the new ones, but I don't go down the cereal aisle.

Favorite was wheat, then rice chex. Corn was sorta okay.

Do you like cold cereal?

I like it and usually have it for breakfast during the week, saving the weekends for a proper cooked breakfast (though sometimes an egg sandwich will sneak in).

I generally like the "healthier" cereals: shredded wheat, Raisin Bran, muesli, granola, Grape-Nuts, etc. My favorite sweet cereal is Golden Grahams. This morning, I had a bowl of Wheat Chex with raisins tossed in. We currently have eight boxes of cereal in the house.

My wife looooves cereal, and will eat it for any meal, any snack, any time of day or night. Her grandmother's nickname for her was "cereal girl," because that's what she always wanted to eat as a child. She goes for sweet cereals, with Frosted Flakes, Lucky Charms, and Cap'n Crunch Crunchberries her favorites. Her lone healthier choice is Raisin Bran, though she also likes Life ("He likes it! Hey, Mikey!").

What about you? Yay or nay? Corn Flakes or Cocoa-Puffs? Maybe you use it in recipes every so often?

I like cold cereals that are beneficial to the digestive system - helping to keep the system working as it should.:wink:

Just observed mr7 eating cereal, I'm watching him for the day, the sound of slurping bought it all back to me. Chocolate flavoured cereal, oh how it's all changed from weet bix.

Russ

I'm more than happy with cereal but its only the actual healthy stuff not the stuff featured as being healthy (such as special K, featured as while this that and the other, but laden with sugar).

I love things like Shreddies (ok maybe not that healthy), grape nuts, rice krispies (plain ones), Weet-Bix/Weetabix, bran flakes (don't seem to be able to get in Australia), granola, Just Right, Corn Flakes or Wheat flakes, one or two muesli such as the nut muesli that Dorset cereals do and porridge. I'm such I've missed a few but...

What I don't like are things like dried fruit of any kind in my muesli or cereal or granola. I don't actually like them in anything really (nor by themselves) and I can distinctly remember one of our favorite cereals containing dried pineapple which I can't have, so I used to pick out all of the pineapple before I added milk or yoghurt and give it to my husband!

Growing up and at uni, I used to live off Shreddies all the time. I could easily eat them 3 times a day or as a snack. I just used to buy the biggest box I could lay my hands on and with 3 pts of full cream milk a day being delivered to me at uni, I could eat as much as I wanted with a pint of chocolate milk (separately) to drink. The chocolate powder could only be bought in France and came in a red and brown/black striped tin. It wasn't that sweet and didn't have loads of added extras like milk powder but I've not seen it in years. Family used to go to France regularly so would buy me 5 or 6 tins at a time. It was pretty cheap.

At the moment we've switched from porridge oats soaked overnight in homemade soy yoghurt and eaten cold and raw, to Dorset Cereals' Simply Nut Granola with homemade soy yoghurt. We'll switch back again before long...

I rarely eat cereal. I like it. I prefer eggs :) When it comes to cereal we have very similar preferences. Shredded wheats are some of my favorite. I definitely don't consider it a healthy cereal lol.

I rarely eat cereal. I like it. I prefer eggs :) When it comes to cereal we have very similar preferences. Shredded wheats are some of my favorite. I definitely don't consider it a healthy cereal lol.
Shreddies and shredded wheat are two different cereals in the UK (and Australia).

Shreddies I don't consider to be healthy. ingredients are
  • Whole Grain Wheat (96%),
  • Sugar,
  • Invert Sugar Syrup,
  • Barley Malt Extract,
  • Salt,
  • Molasses,
  • Vitamins and Minerals (Niacin, Iron, Pantothenic Acid, Folic Acid, Vitamin B6, Riboflavin)

Shredded wheat on the other hand I would consider to be healthy. Its ingredients are
  • 100% whole grain wheat

What's in your shredded wheat then?

Here's what Wheat Chex has, which is similar to Shreddies:

INGREDIENTS: CEREAL GM WHEAT CHEX (Whole Grain Wheat, Sugar, Salt, Molasses, Trisodium Phosphate, BHT Added to Preserve Freshness. Vitamin and Minerals: Calcium Carbonate,Iron and Zinc (Mineral nutrients), Vitamin C, (Sodium Ascorbate), B Vitamin (Nicinamide), Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine Hydrochloride), Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin), Folic Acid, Bitamin B1 (Thiamin Mononitrate), Vitamin A (Palmitate), Vitamin B12, Vitamin D3. )

And here's what Post Shredded Wheat has:

INGREDIENTS
whole grain wheat. bht added to preserve freshness.

Back
Top Bottom