Do You Like To Cook With Others?

Yes, I do. My ex-wife and I cooked together most evenings. My best friend's wife is a great cook, and we cook together when I visit them.

We used to do "group cooks" in college at a house shared by three of my friends. We'd head to "The Pig," AKA Piggly Wiggly (long gone, now), and buy a bunch of stuff and take it back and cook it. Wow, how many "mercans" here remember Piggly Wiggly stores?

CD

Yes, I do. My ex-wife and I cooked together most evenings. My best friend's wife is a great cook, and we cook together when I visit them.

We used to do "group cooks" in college at a house shared by three of my friends. We'd head to "The Pig," AKA Piggly Wiggly (long gone, now), and buy a bunch of stuff and take it back and cook it. Wow, how many "mercans" here remember Piggly Wiggly stores?

CD

Piggly Wiggly, how about A&P?

I love to cook with others...

BUT it depends... they have to love to cook, too.

I am happy when we can agree on a cuisine and we cook separate but co-joining dishes so that the meal flows together. Not many can do this, but I seriously LOVE it when we can. And it has happened, even when I haven't known all the participants that well beforehand.

It isn't easy, and does not always happen effectively. BUT when it does... awesome!

We'd head to "The Pig," AKA Piggly Wiggly (long gone, now), and buy a bunch of stuff and take it back and cook it. Wow, how many "mercans" here remember Piggly Wiggly stores?

They are still going - and I know this because I saw one featured in a Cooking programme (Hairy Bikers). They only operate in a limited area (I think):

There are two situations when I'm okay having someone else in the kitchen:
  1. If I'm teaching someone, as morning glory mentioned. There have only been a few times when anyone has had any interest in learning something from me, though, so this is a rarity.
  2. If it's a massive undertaking, like a family get-together. In this case, I make sure that everyone has specifically-assigned duties. Even in these cases, it's hard not to bump into each other when you're trying to use the same space. But, making sure everyone knows their job ensures that no one is trying to tell anyone else what to do (though that can happen, too). Still, not a situation I'm anxious to repeat: just make your stuff at your house, I'll make mine at my house, and we'll reheat them as needed when we get there.

Back
Top Bottom