Do you like to grill?

cookieee

Local time
6:19 PM
If so, what do you like to grill?

Thank goodness we can grill most any time of the year here, but we do have those days when it is too darn hot or too darn cold and windy. One of the things we don't do, is smoking our food or cooking something for hours and hours.

We don't have one but what I would like to get is one of those tables with a grill running down the middle. Looks like a lot of fun.

N.B. 'Grill' in the UK refers to an overhead grill (broiling in the US). In the UK we usually call an outdoor grill a barbecue or BBQ. Its confusing because BBQ has (I understand) a distinct & precise meaning in the USA. But in the UK (not sure about AUS & NZ) any kind of cooking over heat outside is usually called barbecuing. Recently, the word 'grilling' has been creeeping in here though, with reference to outdoor cooking.

Really big prawns (shell on) are one of my favourite things. The charred shells release a wonderful aroma and impart so much flavour.

I hate cooking outside on the grill. I'll do it for the wife, but I prefer cooking inside.

N.B. 'Grill' in the UK refers to an overhead grill (broiling in the US). In the UK we usually call an outdoor grill a barbecue or BBQ. Its confusing because BBQ has (I understand) a distinct & precise meaning in the USA. But in the UK (not sure about AUS & NZ) any kind of cooking over heat outside is usually called barbecuing. Recently, the word 'grilling' has been creeeping in here though, with reference to outdoor cooking.

Really big prawns (shell on) are one of my favourite things. The charred shells release a wonderful aroma and impart so much flavour.
Pretend there are a million 'LIKES' down below. lol (sorry, forgot to post the one before I hit reply.)

I do both smoking and grilling. I don't and never will use gas to grill. I have a rotisserie for the Weber, a basket for the rotisserie and a kettlepizza kit. I can also grill on the BGE. Can't make tasso or andouille sausage, ribs or pulled pork without a smoker. I do cook several items without smoke for long periods of time, such as Cochinita Pibil and Cuban style pork roast, both done on the BGE. A favorite on the smoker is muffin tin/Cupcake chicken thighs.

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/cupcake-muffin-tin-thighs.12160/

Would love to. Last year I bought a new BBQ with a cold smoking chamber. Unfortunately, the unpredictable weather we've been having here has meant that it's still in the shed.

I use the grill in my wall oven a lot. Cheese on toast to tandoori meats. I even use it for making toast. Some of the bread I get doesn't fit in an ordinary toaster.

Russ

Yeah, I guess you could say I like to grill...

WeberFamilyJune2012.jpg

LOL. I have pared back that photo was taken, and added a Webber Genesis gas grill for when I just want to grill up some burgers and other foods that don't benefit from a charcoal fire due to the short cooking times.

I love to cook rotisserie chickens on the red Weber with the Cajun Bandit rotisserie kit, and I smoke ribs and pork butts on the Weber Kettle, as well (I don't have the big Weber smoker anymore -- too big for my needs).

I also have a Weber wok kit for my Weber Kettle, too. It gets REALLY hot. I love it for stir fries. My stove top can't come close to the same heat.

CD

I never really thought to much about this, but, why do I have almost 80 cookbooks about BBQ/Grilling? I have never bbq/grilled in my life, but I am fascinated with those cookbooks. Just how many recipes do I need on how to grill ribs? lol

I never really thought to much about this, but, why do I have almost 80 cookbooks about BBQ/Grilling? I have never bbq/grilled in my life, but I am fascinated with those cookbooks. Just how many recipes do I need on how to grill ribs? lol

I didn't know there were that many cookbooks on grilling and BBQ. I only own about five cookbooks... TOTAL.

CD

12 of the cookbooks I have are Weber's and 10 are Raichlen's.
Raichlen is that guy on PBS, I think? He's the king of smoking just about anything. Makes smoked cocktails, all kinds of nutty stuff like that.

If you ever read his life story, it's pretty interesting, and he looks like he could be my brother's twin. :)

Anyway, check one of those cookbooks and see if he has a recipe in there for something called a Tulsa Torpedo. It's on my shortlist of things to make before I die.

I couldn't cook with Stephen Raichlen. He would drive me nuts. He is obsessed with perfect grill marks, which add nothing to flavor. You get pretty grill marks at Golden Corral. You get a good, even crust a Peter Lugar's (and a Michelin Star). That, and I can't afford to use a brand new cooking grate every time I grill or smoke something. My grates are clean, but discolored from actual repeated use. That's what they look like when you grill in the real world, without sponsors.

Rant off... sorry. :angelic:

CD

Last edited:
6 burner BBQ here, weather not right for BBQ yet here. Beer butt chicken is first on the list. Sucklebusters sauce and rubs.

Russ

Yeah, I guess you could say I like to grill...

View attachment 31696

LOL. I have pared back that photo was taken, and added a Webber Genesis gas grill for when I just want to grill up some burgers and other foods that don't benefit from a charcoal fire due to the short cooking times.

I love to cook rotisserie chickens on the red Weber with the Cajun Bandit rotisserie kit, and I smoke ribs and pork butts on the Weber Kettle, as well (I don't have the big Weber smoker anymore -- too big for my needs).

I also have a Weber wok kit for my Weber Kettle, too. It gets REALLY hot. I love it for stir fries. My stove top can't come close to the same heat.

CD

Impressive!

Back
Top Bottom