Do you like to grill?

Anyway, check one of those cookbooks and see if he has a recipe in there for something called a Tulsa Torpedo. It's on my shortlist of things to make before I die.

I couldn't cook with Stephen Raichlen. He would drive me nuts.

Sorry @caseydog. As I wanted to know what it was I looked up recipes for Tulsa Torpedo and found this from Stephen Raichlen.

https://barbecuebible.com/recipe/tulsa-torpedo-bacon-weave-sausage-roll/

It looks easy enough to do. And I would do it - except I don't have a smoker (unless I count the indoor smoke gun) or BBQ or grill. Takes about 3 hrs to cook.

Sorry @caseydog. As I wanted to know what it was I looked up recipes for Tulsa Torpedo and found this from Stephen Raichlen.

It looks easy enough to do. And I would do it - except I don't have a smoker (unless I count the indoor smoke gun) or BBQ or grill. Takes about 3 hrs to cook.

That is just a type of "Fatty". As far as BBQ cookbooks, I have 5. One is Raichlen, my favorite is Myron Mixon's. Oops, I forgot the Aaron Franklin book, so that makes 6.

Last edited:
N.B Posting this message from @caseydog as it got blocked by our filters and I can't unblock it so had to copy it over.

Oh, being an international forum, some members may not be familiar with Golden Coral and Peter Luger's Golden Coral...

View:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzRi-suWguc

Peter Lugar's does not have any advertisements -- just a Michelin star.

CD

That is just a type of "Fatty". As far as BBQ cookbooks, I have 5. One is Raichlen, my favorite is Myron Mixon's. Oops, I forgot the Aaron Franklin book, so that makes 6.
I have "Smokin' with Myron Mixon". Which one do you have?

Raichlen is that guy on PBS, I think? He's the king of smoking just about anything. Makes smoked cocktails, all kinds of nutty stuff like that.

If you ever read his life story, it's pretty interesting, and he looks like he could be my brother's twin. :)

Anyway, check one of those cookbooks and see if he has a recipe in there for something called a Tulsa Torpedo. It's on my shortlist of things to make before I die.
Sorry, I just saw the request tonight. Looks like MG beat me to it. lol

No, I have never read his life story. Does he have a book out about that? I do have and read his novel "Island Apart". Have you read that?

Yep, that's a Fatty. I guess Stephen Raichlen gave it a new name and called it his own.

BTW, I only have one BBQ cookbook. It is by "Dr. BBQ," Ray Lampe. It covers the fundamentals. That's all I needed/wanted. I also got the Aaron Franklin Masterclass online. It kind of covers the "Zen" of BBQ.

CD

Last edited:

Hear is an easier way to do a Fatty, which is a "Tulsa Torpedo" with a lot more steps and bogus name.

If you can get rolls or "chubs" of breakfast sausage where you are, buy one, wrap it with a bacon weave, and smoke it.

DO NOT cook it for 3 hours, unless you want a dried out cylinder of burnt pork.

Sausage "chub"...

SausageChub.jpg

Fatty...

Fatty003.jpg

Fatty Benedict (my invention -- I think)...

FattyMoney.jpg

CD

Last edited:
Hear is an easier way to do a Fatty, which is a "Tulsa Torpedo" with a lot more steps and bogus name.

If you can get rolls or "chubs" of breakfast sausage where you are, buy one, wrap it with a bacon weave, and smoke it.

DO NOT cook it for 3 hours, unless you want a dried out cylinder of burnt pork.

Sausage "chub"...

View attachment 31746

Fatty...

View attachment 31744

Fatty Benedict (my invention -- I think)...

View attachment 31745

CD

That Fatty Benedict looks great! I love it.

Sorry, I just saw the request tonight. Looks like MG beat me to it. lol

No, I have never read his life story. Does he have a book out about that? I do have and read his novel "Island Apart". Have you read that?
I'm not aware of a book of his, I think there are articles/interviews I've read online before.

Just this short blurb from Wikipedia is enough to get me interested:

"Steven Raichlen was born in Nagoya, Japan and raised in Baltimore, Maryland, US. He graduated in 1975 from Reed College with a Bachelor of Arts in French literature. He received a Thomas J. Watson Foundation Fellowship to study medieval cooking in Europe, and was offered a Fulbright Scholarship to study comparative literature. He trained at Le Cordon Bleu and La Varenne cooking schools in Paris."

I know he spent a couple of years of his life just traveling to different parts of the world, studying each culture's cuisine. I think he comes from a fairly moneyed background.

I'm not aware of a book of his, I think there are articles/interviews I've read online before.

Just this short blurb from Wikipedia is enough to get me interested:

"Steven Raichlen was born in Nagoya, Japan and raised in Baltimore, Maryland, US. He graduated in 1975 from Reed College with a Bachelor of Arts in French literature. He received a Thomas J. Watson Foundation Fellowship to study medieval cooking in Europe, and was offered a Fulbright Scholarship to study comparative literature. He trained at Le Cordon Bleu and La Varenne cooking schools in Paris."

I know he spent a couple of years of his life just traveling to different parts of the world, studying each culture's cuisine. I think he comes from a fairly moneyed background.
I know he spends a lot of time down here in south Florida and also films some of his shows, but never have run into him. lol
Can't remember if I have mentioned this here before, but in 2008, when his new edition of "The Barbecue Bible" came out, I won an autographed copy of the book.

I just remembered, about 5 months ago on the Weber forum, I won an autographed copy of Jamie Purviance's new book "Weber's Ultimate Grilling".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom