Do you make ice cream?

chocomore

Veteran
Local time
6:12 PM
I have just bought my first ice cream maker so I will be taking the plunge over the weekend:) does anyone here use a icecream maker? And what's your favourite ice cream?

I have always wanted to get an icecream maker and make my own ice cream. My favorites are cookies and cream and mint chocolate chip. I may just buy me one and start making my own.

I have always wanted to get an icecream maker and make my own ice cream. My favorites are cookies and cream and mint chocolate chip. I may just buy me one and start making my own.

if you have the patience and the time you don't need the machine - just take it out of the freezer every 20 mins and rewhisk until it's done (up to 3 hours!)

I used to do this, but it is a bit of a pain :)

It does sound like a bit of a pain. But I would still like to make my own though.

if you have the patience and the time you don't need the machine - just take it out of the freezer every 20 mins and rewhisk until it's done (up to 3 hours!)

I used to do this, but it is a bit of a pain :)

That's great advice. Now you made me want to try it! :p

Growing up, my mother always made us homemade ice cream. I always liked it! It tastes great! Now that I am older, I just do not have the patience to make it myself. I do not eat it very often. Ice cream is a very special treat in my household. So, for me, it is just easier to buy it premade in the little containters. There are so many flavors and options to choose from these days anyway so it is fun to try new flavors!

I actually tried making ice cream twice last week.... the first time it got pasty and weird and I threw the whole thing away without even trying to freeze it. Second time I actually thought something good would come out of it and froze it. It got cold like ice and not creamy whatsoever. I can't eat it! I still didn't throw it away, but I need to soon!

Growing up, my mother always made us homemade ice cream. I always liked it! It tastes great! Now that I am older, I just do not have the patience to make it myself. I do not eat it very often. Ice cream is a very special treat in my household. So, for me, it is just easier to buy it premade in the little containters. There are so many flavors and options to choose from these days anyway so it is fun to try new flavors!

You don't need patience, unless you're doing it buy hand. Get an ice cream maker :)

I actually tried making ice cream twice last week.... the first time it got pasty and weird and I threw the whole thing away without even trying to freeze it. Second time I actually thought something good would come out of it and froze it. It got cold like ice and not creamy whatsoever. I can't eat it! I still didn't throw it away, but I need to soon!

I can't imagine what you did to make it go wrong. care to share?

You can make ice cream with a coffee can, I think. I need to dig out that recipe and try to do it. Since spring is now here and tomorrow is supposed to be almost 90 degrees (Texas), I figured I would start looking for some decent ice cream recipes. I'm a big fan of banana and chocolate ice cream but I've never tried to make it myself. So, what's the easiest ice cream to make? Like, if I'm just starting out with an ice cream maker, what's a pretty foolproof recipe? Also, what type of ice cream flavors have you come up with? I would really like to try making cherry or blueberry ice cream for my husband. Plus, I think that both of those flavors sound really refreshing in the summer heat! I've made homemade ice cream in an ice cream ball (it's this ball you roll around) but it's just for very small amounts and you can't really do much with it. Also, the ice cream doesn't really freeze in the ice cream ball. I'm going to go ahead and get an actual ice cream maker, lol.

My grandma and I used to make a delicious creamy peach ice cream every summer with a little hand-churned ice cream maker. It was a lot of work and our arms were always exhausted afterwards, but it was definitely worth it! That was probably the best ice cream I've had. Good luck with your new ice cream maker! I'm sure you'll have great success with it :wink:

I've never tried it, but I've always been curious as I imagine the taste to be a lot fresher and will most likely have a noticeable homemade taste to it as well. I've grown very tired of the branded ones, so I guess I'll be giving this a try soon. As for my favorite flavor, I am already very happy with vanilla, and if I wanted to change the flavor, I'd rather just sprinkle some add ons to it like cut up fruit or chocolate rather than mixing it in during the process.

Back
Top Bottom