Do You Need To Keep Busy, Or Can You Relax And Do Nothng?

caseydog

Legendary Member
Local time
9:56 PM
My body taught me the necessity to relax , even for a while.
There were a few mad years of two jobs, house, family, until I fell over at a street rushing from work to make it to the butcher's shop. That was the first wake up call.
Then some more madness, I fell from the doorstairs, broke my foot. That was a stronger call.
Then finally, through some gradual changes in easing the work schedule,job change, and a strained ischiaticus I realized, I do need relaxing periods, and "me-time".

So what I do now is, mostly, do then relax for a while, then do again, relax etc.
Sort of lasagna layer aaproach😂

Relax is rarely completely without either music, news, videos or planning, at least the body rests.

But at extreme times, I will shut off any stimuli and just ride the train or walk the streets to sort of silence the brain fireworks...😂

For anxiety I use the box technique breathing.

I should go back to meditating though, as we did in yoga. It is a deeper mindfullness that does good.

I can't meditate to save my life. My brain isn't capable of shutting up -- well, almost. For me, the ultimate mind-cleaner was taking my SeaDoo to the lake on a weekday afternoon. On the weekends, the lake was crowded, but on a Wednesday afternoon, I practically had the whole lake to myself. Me and 110 HP of Rotax would go full throttle the whole length of the lake -- about 60MPH on smooth water. That is the most "in the moment" I believe I have ever been.

CD

Timenspace

Local time
4:56 AM
I can't meditate to save my life. My brain isn't capable of shutting up -- well, almost. For me, the ultimate mind-cleaner was taking my SeaDoo to the lake on a weekday afternoon. On the weekends, the lake was crowded, but on a Wednesday afternoon, I practically had the whole lake to myself. Me and 110 HP of Rotax would go full throttle the whole length of the lake -- about 60MPH on smooth water. That is the most "in the moment" I believe I have ever been.

CD
Wow that is cool. Whatever works for you is fine.
I believe the underlying principle to be the same, occupy the mind with "in the moment" activity and let the worries decrease , or our attention to the worries.
Then, later, you can worry again😂 but you gave the brain a break and recharged.
That is what I sometimes feel while jogging, focus on stride, breathing, head position, relaxing torso, feeling the leg muscles, looking at the sky, listening to the hip hop in my earphones...and leaving all else behind...

For the time...

I truthfully found it easier to meditate at the yoga studio, than at home. Haven't been to the studio in ages...

caseydog

Legendary Member
Local time
9:56 PM
Wow that is cool. Whatever works for you is fine.
I believe the underlying principle to be the same, occupy the mind with "in the moment" activity and let the worries decrease , or our attention to the worries.
Then, later, you can worry again😂 but you gave the brain a break and recharged.
That is what I sometimes feel while jogging, focus on stride, breathing, head position, relaxing torso, feeling the leg muscles, looking at the sky, listening to the hip hop in my earphones...and leaving all else behind...

For the time...

I truthfully found it easier to meditate at the yoga studio, than at home. Haven't been to the studio in ages...

Going fast has a way of focusing a person "in the moment." I've noticed the same thing blasting down a mountain on skis as I did on the SeaDoo -- and driving a car fast on a track. In fact, it is not uncommon for professional race car drivers to come in for a pit stop with their eyes dried out and burning, because they've be so focused on driving fast that they literally forget to blink their eyelids.

CD

Timenspace

Local time
4:56 AM
Going fast has a way of focusing a person "in the moment." I've noticed the same thing blasting down a mountain on skis as I did on the SeaDoo -- and driving a car fast on a track. In fact, it is not uncommon for professional race car drivers to come in for a pit stop with their eyes dried out and burning, because they've be so focused on driving fast that they literally forget to blink their eyelids.

CD
You blast down in skis? Wow. Ski is a never go for me. I love walking on mountains, but not skiing. Did try. It was hurtful😂. A skier jammed into my back, had a main-dish-plate sized bruise for weeks...and am scared of heights, so I pass.
Yeah, I can understand that. It requires a deep focus.
Isn't it a reflex to blink?
I was fascinated by the pit stops and tyre changes, so organized, so swift, 👍

Top Bottom