Do you pay with cash or card

When I was a kid, if mum wasn't well enough to go to the shop she would send me with a pocket full of copper, pennies and two pence coins, along with 5p and 10o coins. Shop keepers were happy to receive the change, people queuing behind me not so happy because they had to stand and wait for me to count it out :laugh:

When I was a kid, if mum wasn't well enough to go to the shop she would send me with a pocket full of copper, pennies and two pence coins, along with 5p and 10o coins. Shop keepers were happy to receive the change, people queuing behind me not so happy because they had to stand and wait for me to count it out :laugh:

When I was a kid it was ½d and 1d.

laughing-with-tears.jpg

And three penny bits!

Pretty much card for everything since I moved to Australia, that is when my card wants to work. card is pushed ever so much here. Mind you cards are on the way out in Australia (that is where there is an internet connection even if it's by satellite). Plenty of people now pay by their mobile phone instead. I've no idea how common that is elsewhere but I'm due back in the UK in August via one or two other countries so I guess I'll find out .

Here even market stall holders in small towns and villages fetes or farmers markets will have a wireless card machine for you to buy local produce with. These usually take cards or mobile phones.

However there are certain occasions where cash is better and because of certain banks' technology not always talking to other banks, it can be useful to keep $50 on you for when technology fails. Plus because of the sheer scale of Australia, lots of places simply have no mobile phone signal to have internet access so cash is still useful.

Card mostly. Not in restaurants where the card vanishes from sight for several moments, however. There, I pay cash.

But I do keep some cash on me for small purchases.

When I stayed in Damascus in the early 90s, the hotel (where I stayed) required that you paid for the accommodation by card. The official exchange rate for this transaction was 1 pound Sterling = 11 Syrian pounds. However, the banks were offering 35 Syrian pounds for each 1 pound Sterling. Therefore cash was king.

Back
Top Bottom