Do you prefer noise or silence?

Lullabelle

Midlands, England
Local time
4:58 PM
August bank holiday week TVC was in Germany leaving me home alone.
When I got home from work, dinner,chores, shower then sit at the table to do my jigsaw puzzle. No television, radio or any noise at all, just peace and quiet-apart from the cat snoring.
My 3 female colleagues all agreed that they could not deal with silence, they need background noise.

Personally I like silence, how about you guys?

Like you, I'm completely fine with silence and most often I enjoy it. My grandma is the opposite and has asked me why don't I turn on the TV to keep me company. I don't think an electronic device that doesn't even interact with me (thankfully!) is keeping me company and I honestly don't understand why some people do that, keep the TV on just for the noise.

Raising my hand for silence. I don't really watch tv but I love music. Sometimes I stream my favorites on Pandora but that's about it. I also feel better at home. Crowds, gatherings, hustle and bustle are really overwhelming.

Silence all the way!

I have a real issue with noise, chatter, anything like that. I especially can't handle competing noises, like if the TV is on and then someone asks me a question. People think I'm just being a jerk, but when there are competing noises, what enters my brain is just a mish-mash of sounds, nothing distinguishable, and it's very frustrating.

MrsT and I are at odds about it all the time, because she's a talker. She talks from the minute she wakes up until she goes to bed, and there are a lot of times where I have to get up and leave the room, because it's like it's impossible for her to be silent for more than a few minutes. Thought forms in her head, and it's out of her mouth before it's even finished being a thought.

Last night, for example, we were watching a movie, and it was like this after the opening credits:

"Oh! I didn't know he was in this! Cool!"
<20 seconds later>
"I wonder where they filmed this?"
<10 seconds later>
"He looks so young in this!"
<20 seconds later>
"I probably shouldn't be having popcorn."
<15 seconds later>
"Remind me to call the dentist on Monday."

And on and on and on. No amount of complaining, cajoling, or demanding has slowed it down for the last 30 years.

Silence is why I like being by myself so much. The last wedding reception we attended, I had to get up and leave because all the screaming and whooping and hollering, mixed in with the music, was actually causing a sensation like motion sickness - disorienting and nauseating.

I also startle very easily at loud, unexpected noises (which is why my gun-happy neighbors drive me crazy). I bit my tongue (literally) this morning while eating because the dog barked for no reason.

Silence all the way!

I have a real issue with noise, chatter, anything like that. I especially can't handle competing noises, like if the TV is on and then someone asks me a question. People think I'm just being a jerk, but when there are competing noises, what enters my brain is just a mish-mash of sounds, nothing distinguishable, and it's very frustrating.

MrsT and I are at odds about it all the time, because she's a talker. She talks from the minute she wakes up until she goes to bed, and there are a lot of times where I have to get up and leave the room, because it's like it's impossible for her to be silent for more than a few minutes. Thought forms in her head, and it's out of her mouth before it's even finished being a thought.

Last night, for example, we were watching a movie, and it was like this after the opening credits:

<20 seconds later>
<10 seconds later>
<20 seconds later>
<15 seconds later>

And on and on and on. No amount of complaining, cajoling, or demanding has slowed it down for the last 30 years.

Silence is why I like being by myself so much. The last wedding reception we attended, I had to get up and leave because all the screaming and whooping and hollering, mixed in with the music, was actually causing a sensation like motion sickness - disorienting and nauseating.

I also startle very easily at loud, unexpected noises (which is why my gun-happy neighbors drive me crazy). I bit my tongue (literally) this morning while eating because the dog barked for no reason.

MrsT sounds like my grandma. She can't keep quiet for one second and usually what comes out of her mouth is half of what she thought in her head and you're left to wonder what she intended to say (like "You know I think she needs to start watching her weight" - she, who?). She even talks to me when I'm sitting in the bathroom which seriously gets on my nerves and that's the only time when I don't reply. When I was at my grandma's house, sometimes I'd be in bed, my grandma watching TV on the living room right next to it, a wall separating us, and she'd be commenting with me what's she's seeing on the TV, completely unaware that I'm not even seeing the TV: "Ohh this actress is so cute!" "I love this dress!" "See that's the kind of couch I'd like to buy!"

I have mixed feelings about noise.

I can not have a radio or TV on while I work, especially when I am doing design work on the computer, and absolutely when I am writing an article, or something else requiring full focus. I can handle music if it doesn't have any lyrics, but if a song I like comes on, with lyrics I like, I'm screwed.

Funny thing, and I am not alone in this, is that I have to turn the car radio off if I am trying to find a place I've never been to before, or if I am a little lost. I've had a lot of other people tell me the same thing.

My mom sits and reads iBooks all day, with FOXnews on in the room. I don't know how she does that. (I actually don't know how she can tollerate FOXnews) :laugh:

But, when I go to bed, I like to have some kind of "white noise" going. It could be a fan, or a humidifier. Anything that makes a constant, nondescript sound. It drowns out other annoying sounds, like traffic passing on the street outside, or normal creaks and sounds from the house.

I'm tempted to slap someone silly if they talk during a movie. I had a girlfriend once (the woman I SHOULD have married) who was wonderful to watch movies with. We would both remain totally silent during the movie, and talk about it afterwards.

CD

Funny thing, and I am not alone in this, is that I have to turn the car radio off if I am trying to find a place I've never been to before, or if I am a little lost. I've had a lot of other people tell me the same thing.
That's me as well. I did it just today, even though it was a place I've been to several times, including the day before yesterday. As soon as I hit the exit ramp, off with the radio.

But, when I go to bed, I like to have some kind of "white noise" going.
That's MrsT- she tears down and packs a full sized oscillating table fan with us when we travel.

I'm tempted to slap someone silly if they talk during a movie.
The only thing worse than a movie is when someone tries to talk to me while I'm talking to someone else on the phone - you know, you're trying to listen to someone at the doc's office give you directions or something, and someone is in the room with you saying, "Did you ask them about blah blah blah?"

The only time I ever heard my mom talk back to my dad (and cuss at him as well) was when he did that to her once. Once was enough. She spoke to him like a crazed killer about to do him in, and didn't he shut right up?! :laugh:

Silence all the way!

<20 seconds later>
<10 seconds later>
<20 seconds later>
<15 seconds later>

I would love to be a fly on your wall at night,lmao.

Russ

I've mentioned this before, TVs is on as I do stuff, weekend it's trackside, horse racing and dogs etc. just quietly in the background, I have CNN on ATM. I'm only listening sort of in the background. While I do my e mails and check in on about 8 sites I'm on. I can't sit in silence. Growing up we always had a radio on in the background as well. Maybe I'm conditioned to that ? I've noticed my kids always have tv on as well in the background. My son also watches races a lot. But he was a driver and worked part time as a horseman in a stable. He drove his first winner on one of my horses I bred. Harness horses.

Russ

My brother Lee is. Chatty Cathy. He has the infuriating habit of asking you to watch or listen to something, and within 10 seconds, he's blabbing over top of it, telling you why it's so great/funny.

I think,I'd like your bro.? Quite a lot. Lol

Russ
He's a great guy and I couldn't ask for a better brother, but he can be a handful at times.

Another quirk of his - when he's driving (and he always wants to drive, he hates riding), he insists on staring at you when he's talking (which is constantly), even if you're in the back seat. He'll damn near be in the back seat with you, and you'll be saying, "Lee. Lee! Eyes on the road, Lee!" :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom