Do you prefer noise or silence?

He's a great guy and I couldn't ask for a better brother, but he can be a handful at times.

Another quirk of his - when he's driving (and he always wants to drive, he hates riding), he insists on staring at you when he's talking (which is constantly), even if you're in the back seat. He'll damn near be in the back seat with you, and you'll be saying, "Lee. Lee! Eyes on the road, Lee!" :laugh:

A lady we know has a habit of closing her eyes for long periods while talking. I'm glad she doesn't have a license.!! It's so annoying.

Russ

Oh, I just recalled something. I am more of a natural type of parent so I made all my babies' food from scratch and did home remedies versus giving my kids medications at the drop of a hat. I heard from more experienced moms that it's not healthy to have a newborn sleep in TOTAL silence. It made sense to me because we ARE surrounded by noise all the time. I have two children and neither one of them napped during the day (went on 4 hours of sleep a night since they were born as I had an early riser and a night owl) but I would make sure not to SILENCE the nursery when they slept. I didn't drown out traffic, music, cooking noises, etc..

Imagine my surprise when my husband chastised me that it was "impossible for X (our daughter) to do her school work because I was cooking dinner while she was at her desk! What? She's been around NORMAL life sounds her entire life! To avoid an argument, I turned off Pandora (was on very, very low to start with) and delayed dinner just to give her the quiet he demanded. Guess what? She balked that she "cannot think when it's so quiet."! My son is more like me and can focus no matter what is happening around him (I can do it, but PREFER quiet). I got lucky as both my kids are good students and nobody had to pay for soundproof walls! LOL

It's 8:04AM, I've been up since 5:40AM, the only one, and it's by far the best part of the day. I've been sitting in complete darkness and silence for the last 2-1/2 hours, checking my online stuff and drinking tea.

When I had corporate jobs, I used to like to get to my office early, drink coffee, and organize my day before people got there and started interrupting my work. BTW, I didn't get upset by the interruptions, it was part of my job, especially as I climbed the ladder. If I really needed to spend some uninterrupted time in my office, I closed the door, and people knew not to interrupt me unless it was absolutely necessary.

Since Covid-19, I can have "quiet time" any of the 24 hours in a day. I can roll out of bed at Noon, make a cup of coffee, and "organize my day," which takes about thirty seconds.

CD

Last edited:
When I had corporate jobs, I used to like to get to my office early, drink coffee, and organize my day before people got there and started interrupting my work. BTW, I didn't get upset by the interruptions, it was part of my job, especially as I climbed the ladder. If I really needed to spend some uninterrupted time in my office, I closed the door, and people knew not to interrupt me unless it was absolutely necessary.

CD

Good luck getting that in the modern, open space office!

I work in HR and we're all in an open office so people got in the habit of simply stopping by whenever they need something. I genuinely enjoyed the interruptions and I loved chatting with people as they were coming and going, but none of my colleagues feels the same way.

A favourite summer pastime of mine is getting up really early, (dawn breaks around 04:30 here in summer) and taking the dogs for a walk in the woods. There is seldom anyone else around, it's like the world is mine alone. As an aside, I really don't understand people who walk about wearing ear phones, blocking out the sounds of the real world. Muppets.

Wife insists on sleeping with the TV on.
A marathon sleeper, 22 hours straight is not unusual.
Every so often the sound will go off for one reason or another and it is bliss.

• Lol or Haha
Reactions: mjd
A favourite summer pastime of mine is getting up really early, (dawn breaks around 04:30 here in summer) and taking the dogs for a walk in the woods. There is seldom anyone else around, it's like the world is mine alone. As an aside, I really don't understand people who walk about wearing ear phones, blocking out the sounds of the real world. Muppets.

I'm half-Muppet. I listen to music as it's my solace. I only use one earbud so I'm not completely drowning out the world. ;-)

I work in a noisy office so sometimes I need quiet to clear my head.

I work in a very very noisy open space office, it’s quite normal to me to have a call (or more than one) while people are talking and having other phone calls, music on (mostly for adv jingles) and people who come and go.. I am still wondering how I found a way to adapt myself to all of this, but I did somehow. Sometimes it’s funny, other ones very stressful, and the only silent peaceful place is the loo..
I like the city noise in general, it gives me energy.
But when I get home then, I enjoy the surreal silence of the countryside where I live where the silence is broken only by the barking of some dogs far away. When it’s windy, it’s such a pleasure to listen to the tree leaves shaking.

Last edited:
I know exactly what you mean. The countryside is my natural habitat, but I am always energised by spending time in a busy place, London in particular.

There is a special breathe in every cities and I like it to be involved in that. Maybe because I know that it’s something that I can enjoy better knowing I have a silent tranquil place where to come back.
In the past I’ve worked for several years in a big Company based in the nowhere of a countryside and when I started working there I was quite pleased about the silence around... but after few weeks I started to suffer that condition, I needed to go to Milano after work and listen to some genuine noise :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom