Do you sharpen your own knives?

vennybunny

Veteran
Local time
6:32 PM
I'm looking to invest in a knife sharpening kit (water stones, honing steel) but I'm still wondering if it would be worth it. I'd be willing to learn how to sharpen knives effectively, but will I ever get as good an edge as the shop? I don't want to waste my money if just getting them sharpened would be cheaper.

I cook daily, so my knives get a lot of use. :)

I don't know how to do this, so I just ask my mom or dad to sharpen them. They use a wet stone though. It's really amazing. Now matter how many time they teach me, I still don't get it. :P

I have some sharpening stones that I use on occasion, but for the most part, I just wait for the sharpening service that goes around my local area regularly. I choose to just do this because I also need my scissors sharpened regularly anyway so it's practical for me to pay for it since I'm getting a lot of my tools done and not just my kitchen knives.

To be honest, I've never used any type of knife sharpening kit and/or stones. I just buy up a new knife set once a year and throw the old ones away.

Yes I do.

With an electric knife sharpener & a steel. :)

How does that work? Is that like a grinder thingy?

That seems like it'd be easier. On a scale of 1 to possibility-of-cut-fingers, how easy is it? :)

I use a whet stone and sharpen all of my knives, not just kitchen knives (I have a number of outdoor knives as well). It is certainly a lot cheaper than paying for it to be done or replacing good quality knives on a regular basis. There is a technique to learn, and you do need to take into account some knives are not dual sided (such as some of the Global knives) but it is quick and easy once you have learnt the technique. A whet stone is what £5-10 and will last for decades - well mine has...

I got a cheap boning knife that is so dull right now!! Gonna have to liven it up and sharpen it next time before I use it!! :eek:

I use a whet stone and sharpen all of my knives, not just kitchen knives (I have a number of outdoor knives as well). It is certainly a lot cheaper than paying for it to be done or replacing good quality knives on a regular basis. There is a technique to learn, and you do need to take into account some knives are not dual sided (such as some of the Global knives) but it is quick and easy once you have learnt the technique. A whet stone is what £5-10 and will last for decades - well mine has...

Do you use an angle guide or something? It seems hard to maintain a consistent angle, and I really don't want to ruin knives. I don't have money to buy new ones. :)

How long does it take to get good at it?

No angle guide used, there is a feel to it and if you tilt the knife rocking out back and forth, you will feel the angle. Initially I would the use my finger to hold it at that angle, but I quickly learnt how to hold it freely and feel that angle. I learnt on outdoor knives which have a bigger angle and are more robust, but the concept is easily applied to kitchen knives and I use the same whet some for both. I will see if I can find you a link to a Ray Mear's video when I get back home. Posting links on my smartphone is a pain!

I sharpen my own knives with one of those traditional sharpeners where you drag the blade over a rod with a handle ant that sharpens it. I have never had them professionally sharpened, so I can't say what the difference is, but I am able to get them pretty good and sharp myself. I have no complaints about dull knives from using it.

No angle guide used, there is a feel to it and if you tilt the knife rocking out back and forth, you will feel the angle. Initially I would the use my finger to hold it at that angle, but I quickly learnt how to hold it freely and feel that angle. I learnt on outdoor knives which have a bigger angle and are more robust, but the concept is easily applied to kitchen knives and I use the same whet some for both. I will see if I can find you a link to a Ray Mear's video when I get back home. Posting links on my smartphone is a pain!

Okay so I've been trying my luck with a silicone carbide stone, and I must say it does seem much easier than initially expected. My biggest problem now is that I seem to have bought a stone that's too narrow. It takes me a while to sharpen the entire length of my chef's knife. I'd probably look into a circular stone next. :)

Okay so I've been trying my luck with a silicone carbide stone, and I must say it does seem much easier than initially expected. My biggest problem now is that I seem to have bought a stone that's too narrow. It takes me a while to sharpen the entire length of my chef's knife. I'd probably look into a circular stone next. :)
take the blade diagonally across it... so stone straight and move the blade diagonally... its away from the sharp edge towards the handle that you want to aim for IIRC...

I'm looking to invest in a knife sharpening kit (water stones, honing steel) but I'm still wondering if it would be worth it. I'd be willing to learn how to sharpen knives effectively, but will I ever get as good an edge as the shop? I don't want to waste my money if just getting them sharpened would be cheaper.

I cook daily, so my knives get a lot of use. :)
I don't sharpen my knives but I need to start. Mine are so dull now. My Dad use to sharpen his knives on his own. He would use a stone, nothing fancy just a stone he'd find outside and it worked.

Back
Top Bottom