Do you soak your onions before you cut them up?

I suppose the question is - why? The onions we get in the UK are not all from the UK yet most are, as you say @SatNavSaysStraightOn, not very tear inducing. I do find an exception occasionally with the cheaper brown onions and some of the cheaper red onions.

Our ones are local, grown about 15 min drive away. It's where I get my potatoes and pumpkins.

Russ

I've never actually... actually, tell a lie, once. I did submerge one and still cried my eyes out.

Certain dishes/recipes call for soaking the onion to remove the "bite.” Otherwise, I bite the bullet:cry:& chop as is, so I don't remove/dilute the flavor. I've also kept a bag of frozen chopped onions in the freezer.

Certain dishes/recipes call for soaking the onion to remove the "bite.” Otherwise, I bite the bullet:cry:& chop as is, so I don't remove/dilute the flavor. I've also kept a bag of frozen chopped onions in the freezer.

Never heard of anyone freezing onions. I have a 3 kg bag in my kitchen at all times. Only ever put onions in water is when I'm brining them for pickled onions.

Russ

They come already chopped and frozen in a bag. They have been around for years. Good in a pinch for small amounts.

They come already chopped and frozen in a bag. They have been around for years. Good in a pinch for small amounts.

I don't get that, it's lazy in my book, hell how hard is it to cut an onion? But then you can buy peeled potatoes here. I just don't get it.lol.

Russ

I do not care for frozen onions or other trinity ingredients. All have a high water content. Frozen onions, celery, bell pepper do not saute well. Too much water. I do freeze pepper from the garden just because I have more than I can use at one time. Prefer fresh over frozen.

Back
Top Bottom