Do you use a recipe or just wing it?

Momma9

Veteran
Local time
5:34 PM
I rarely use recipes for dinnerish foods. (Ha, is that even a word?). I have a good understanding of what ingredient does what and am able to make what I desire. I do see recipes online and in cookbooks that inspire me to try new combinations.

When it comes to baking, I will try a recipe and see how it is. Generally I end up making my own variation based on ingredients and outcomes my family likes best.

How do you feel about recipes? To you follow them, change them, or not use them at all?

I do not use recipes that often except I want to make something new and different that I have never tried before. Even when using recipes, however, I would change up the ingredients and method a bit, but still stick closely to the original recipe. I think recipes for baking should be more exact than those for making actual dinners.

We all know that there is more than one way to cook any dish, and each person will have their own preference.

Both but even with recipes I almost always add something or improvise if that's the better word. The only time I have stuck to a recipe is in baking which I am no pro at. Still I try a little something every now and again.

I used to wing it. but I like to try new things and so started using recipes. also everyone was asking me for recipes for the food they were eating, and I didn't have them. A lot of them were handed down from my grandmother to my mom then to us. so I started writing down the approximate amounts and such for all of our (wing it meals) I don't use a recipe when making them but do have them written out for others.

I do both. But mainly I use my own recipes. I like to invent but generally think about it beforehand. But often, if I'm making a curry for example, I'll just do it by instinct. Lately, though, I've been 'testing out' some recipes posted here. I follow the recipe unless it seems to be wrong. And sometimes, they are! But I also sometimes tweak the ingredients.
Here is an example of rather good a recipe I tested on the Forum: Guinness Chilli (revisited)

For the most part I don't follow a recipe. I just wing it. If I do use a recipe I usually adjust it to my liking.

You don't know how many times I have said to my family when they really like something I have cooked - 'too bad, I just threw it together and won't be able to do it the same next time'! I suppose it would be a good idea to keep a notepad or my phone nearby when cooking to jot down the recipe in case it is a masterpiece!! It appears I am not the only one who doesn't follow recipes!!

I have a large collection of cookery books and am always looking on cookery sites/Facebook pages etc but always end up using the recipes for ideas or methods rather than the finished dish. There is only one recipe I can think of that I would not change for love nor money but maybe because that is a traditional recipe and I absolutely love it.

I have a large collection of cookery books and am always looking on cookery sites/Facebook pages etc but always end up using the recipes for ideas or methods rather than the finished dish. There is only one recipe I can think of that I would not change for love nor money but maybe because that is a traditional recipe and I absolutely love it.
You better tell us what it is then! :D

Arni psito me patates (Greek roast lamb with lemon and garlic, onions and mushrooms, and (guess what?) potatoes :happy:
Ah...I do roast lamb with lemon and potatoes.... I wouldn't have thought it was a very precise recipe, in terms of quantities for example, so its interesting that you stick to a recipe. Would you like to post the recipe? Go to the relevant forum, for example. Beef, Pork, Lamb and other Meats, click on post new thread and click on Prefix to add Recipe. Then add title and type in the recipe. Add a picture if you have one. I'd be interested to see the recipe.

Ah...I do roast lamb with lemon and potatoes.... I wouldn't have thought it was a very precise recipe, in terms of quantities for example, so its interesting that you stick to a recipe. Would you like to post the recipe? Go to the relevant forum, for example. Beef, Pork, Lamb and other Meats, click on post new thread and click on Prefix to add Recipe. Then add title and type in the recipe. Add a picture if you have one. I'd be interested to see the recipe.
I only stick to the liquid/lemon quantities because that's how I like it. I bung as much garlic, pepper, potatoes, onions and mushrooms in as I feel like (or are left in the cupboard), but I think most people like set quantities to start with.

I only stick to the liquid/lemon quantities because that's how I like it. I bung as much garlic, pepper, potatoes, onions and mushrooms in as I feel like (or are left in the cupboard), but I think most people like set quantities to start with.
That makes more sense! Lots of garlic for me!

I never follow recipes for regular weekday meals but like to experiment with new recipes at weekends. I try to follow new recipes to the letter the first time unless there is something obviously wrong with them, but usually end up improvising in some way. I find that as I get older I prefer stronger flavours and heavier seasoning than is the norm in most recipes.

I never follow recipes for regular weekday meals but like to experiment with new recipes at weekends. I try to follow new recipes to the letter the first time unless there is something obviously wrong with them, but usually end up improvising in some way. I find that as I get older I prefer stronger flavours and heavier seasoning than is the norm in most recipes.
Agreed.

Back
Top Bottom