Do you use a splatter guard when frying?

Diane Lane

Veteran
Local time
3:16 PM
This came up in another thread, and got me thinking. I thought everyone used splatter guards also known as spatter guards, or splatter screens, but apparently I was wrong. I have a cheap one right now, but will be replacing it in the future. Upon doing some research, I see that they come in varying sizes. I have always bought the big one, since it would fit on just about any pan. There are also splatter guards that function similar to walls, blocking things from splashing onto walls, behind stoves, etc.

Here's one type, it's a fine mesh screen with a handle. This is the kind I use, although I've also used the one with the knob/handle in the center: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...f_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=2128338002&pf_rd_i=3737171

Attachments

• splatter guard.jpg
    splatter guard.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 310
I have used one in the distant past. Not got one at present. I'm not sure I really need it now. Hmmn.... do I?

I was a victim of oil spattering that gave me red colored marks on my skin. That's the main problem when frying pork belly strips, the skin is nice when it is crackling but for it to crackle, the oil will have to spatter first. I use a pan lid for that but whenever I would take a peek to check on my cooking, the jumping oil would always escape. There are restaurants here where we can order that crispy pork belly strips. However, it's not really crispy that's why we take time to cook it ourselves... despite the probable injury.

I have used one in the distant past. Not got one at present. I'm not sure I really need it now. Hmmn.... do I?

Only you can determine that. I've found it comes in handy, and it seems to keep more of the grease in the pan, and I'm in favor of less clean up.

@Corzhens I worked at McDonald's in high school, and constantly had XXX burn marks on my arms from the fry baskets. Everything is set up for right-handed people, and I'm a leftie, so there are always more accidents.

I have one of these and use it whenever I am frying on the stove. It does make a difference.

@Diane Lane I, too, worked at McDonald's in high school and actually still have a couple small scars on my arms from french fry grease "jumping" up and landing on me! I remember those red X-shaped marks all too well!

I am like you. I have used one in the distant past, but I don't even know where it might have disappeared to. I don't "fry" in a big way but even when I am pan searing what little oil I use with that very high heat can have oil spreading a little too far sometimes. "Hmmn....do I" need one?

I have used one in the past but I rarely use one now. I have used one on occasion when cooking bacon. It does help with the splatter of the bacon fat. I just never really think of using it.

I have not used any of these guards in my kitchen. Maybe because my cooking mostly require me to use a non-stick pan and when I use oil I usually deep fry. I guess there is no opportunity for me to use these protective utensils who knows I might just need one

We have one, but I would say we use it maybe one in ten times that we fry something.

Honestly, the most often we use it is when we are pan-cooking bacon, because the bacon grease seems to flick up all over the place!

I have one of these and use it whenever I am frying on the stove. It does make a difference.

@Diane Lane I, too, worked at McDonald's in high school and actually still have a couple small scars on my arms from french fry grease "jumping" up and landing on me! I remember those red X-shaped marks all too well!

Did you dream of french fries if you didn't shower/wash your hair before bed? When I first started working there, it seemed as if I spent my whole sleeping time dreaming that I was standing at the fry station making french fries. That faded once I realized I would have to shower after work.

Back
Top Bottom